Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HIV test came out positive and negative??
winterhawk posted:
Im a 32 yr old male, I went last week for my routine check ups due to me having heart conditions. I got my routine check up in which i get blood test done and they check me for everything. My doctor calls me today and says that I tested positive for HIV on one test but negative on the confirmation test, im not sure what this means. My Dr. told me not to worry that she thinks its because of my other illness... is that true can other illnesses affect an HIV test. Im worried but then im not I really love my doctor and I trust her word. I want to know if anyone has had this type of issue with and HIV test coming back postive negative?? I also have had the flu for a little over a week with and upper respiratory...they drew my blood for my check up while i was still sick with the flu. Ive heard and read that there are certain things that can make an HIV test turn out like mine did. Please give me some advice cause im going a little crazy. Thanks you!

georgiagail responded:
The typical HIV screening test (known as the Elisa) does not check for the actual presence of the virus but rather for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place.

There are certain cases where antibodies that look similar to those seen in HIV can show a "false positive" result on the Elisa. This is why a "reactive" (i.e., positive) screening test is typically followed by a second test known as a Western Blot.

If both the Elisa and Western Blot come back as "reactive" the patient is assumed to be HIV positive.

If the Western Blot is negative, the patient is HIV negative and the initial screening test was a "false positive" result.

I hope this makes sense.

Gail

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.