Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

abe648
AmberBee posted:
Abe648,

I just found out today (Christmas Eve) that I have genital herpes. I contracted it from my second person I've ever had sex with, the first time we had sex this month.

I just want you to know that your posts have truly helped me feel a little better about my situation....The Herpes Handbook is a great resource I will be saving to talk to my family, close friends, and future partners about herpes....

I still question why this had to happen to me, when I used protection, have only had sex with two people, and took all the precaustions I could take....but your words of wisedom and the advice you've given others is truly helpful....

Thank you,

abe648 responded:
Your welcome. You have a good attitude to having Herpes and that is what really counts in the long run.

Why did this happen to you? Godoonly knows but he says that he will not give us more than we can handle. Life will go on and herpes is something that you can ccontrol and still have a healthy love life.

God Bless you and I do pray that you had a Merrry Chritmas.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

AmberBee replied to abe648's response:
I did have a good Christmas, I hope you did as well.

The HSV handbook did wonders for making me feel better about having HSV and realizing it doesn't have to be the end of my life/love life. Thank you SO much for having that resource in your signature I'd be lost without it.

Perhaps I'll check out The Good News about the Bad News as well.

again, thank you and happy holidays!

abe648 replied to AmberBee's response:
how were you diagnoised with herpes. I presuem it is genital. So do you know if it is HSV 1 or 2 genitally? And if so how were told what it was. Did the Doc do a swab/culture or a type specific blood test for HSV 1 & 2?
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

I was in the middle of an OB and my doctor literally looked for like 30 seconds and said very nonchalantly "oh, this looks like herpes"

she told me she was pretty sure it was herpes and she could do a test to find out if it was HSV 1 or 2, but it didn't matter if it was 1 or 2...it was still herpes....and since I'm not sure if billing for stuff like that will be sent to my parents I decided against finding out if it was 1 or 2.....

Once I'm comfortable enough to tell my parents, I will find out which form I have

So the only way you can find out if it is HSv 1 genitally is when you have an ob get a swab/culture/type so you know what type you have genitally. HSv 1 genitally has a lot less obs than hsv 2 genitally. So it is really helpful to know.

thank you abe for all the help and support!

The swab has to be done within 48 hours of when you first noice an ob for best results. Also you say that you had protected sex. So it is possible that you do have HSV 1 genitally from oral sex.

Just a look see will never confirm that you have herpes. When some Doc says you have herpes there is a 50% chance they are wrong. So I would recommend that you get a swab/culture and make sure the Doc types it so you know if it is HSV 1 or 2 genitally. If it is HSV 1 genitally then on average you will get one more ob the first year and then on average you will get one ob every other year. So you can see that you have a lot less obs if it is HSV 1.

Secondly if you would like to add the Herpes Handbook to your signature line then copy the link to the Herpes Handbook from my signature line and then click on your avatar and go in and see that there is a place where you can put a signature line on your posts. This as far as I Know will only appear in the Sex Transmitted Exchange,.

To learn more about hSV 1 & 2 then go to the top of this site in the search and type in "abe648 or betsy" this will give you a good background in HSV 1 & 2. Read lall the posts which will give you a real good background in Herpes. Betsy is a nurse who is really knowlegable in Herpes. It is good to know that many times if people say that there first ob is going on for a long time it is quite common for the gals to get either a yeast or bacterial or other infections especially on the first ob. I came accross a gal who had a bacterial infection that lasted close to 2 months with her initial ob and she went back to the Doc a lot of times to get if finally under control.

You have a good common sense approach to answering others posts. If you do not know the answer either do not answer the post or just tell them that you are not sure and then give them some positve coments.

You do a good job of replying amd you are welcome asset to this exchange. .

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.