Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Husband just found out he has genital Herpes, I don't.
Circus posted:
About 6 months ago my husband broke out in sores in his pubic region. They were not clusters and it was wide spread but very painful. He went to the doctor and the doctor told him it was a yeast infection. The sores went away and we went back to life as normal. Now he has had another outbreak, and this time there was no doubt that it was genital herpes. I do not have it. Now I'm not concerned with cheating, I don't need answers for where it came from, and I'm not angry, after all there's nothing anger can fix. I just need some advice. What can I do to make sure I don't get genital herpes, or it is completely inevitable that I'll get it. We have 2 children together and have been trying for a third for close to a year. Is there anything that I should know pertaining to herpes and conceiving? I understand the risks of having herpes during pregnancy, but I don't know anything about preventing herpes and pregnancy.

Positive responses please! Thank you!

thenewgurl responded:
Have you confirmed yet that he has hsv2 with a blood test? If not, that would be the best way to determine his status & also make sure that you are definitely negative. It is possible to have herpes w/o any outbreaks, because I just tested positive back in October and have never had any blisters, bumps, or lesions down there (asymptomatic).

Depending on the bloodwork results, if he is indeed pos (and you're neg) there are ways to reduce the likelihood of him transmitting it to you. Antivirals such as acyclovir, valacyclovir (Valtrex) & famcyclovir are great for both treatment of outbreak episodes as well as ongoing suppressive treatment. From my understanding, the best-practice method of prevention includes taking antiviral meds along with condom useage. Now, since you've been married for some time & already have 2 kids, I'm assuming condoms aren't normally used...so this will be a discussion to have w/the hubby & see how he feels about that. I thought mine would be upset or turned-off by having to go back to condoms again, but he understands that I'm trying to protect him the best I can. So, it's not an issue for us.

As far as pregnancy, the one thing I know is that it can be dangerous to be newly infected while carrying. Basically, the concern is if the mother has an outbreak at the time of delivery. But there's plenty knowledge in the medical field about handling that, and if it were to happen (an outbreak), they'd just do a c-section to protect the baby from getting it from mom.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you!

abe648 responded:
The first thing you need to know is if you do or do not have herpe. Just because you have no symptoms does not mean that you do not have it. I would recommend that you get a type specific igg blood test for HsV 1 & 2. Ask them to give you a copy of your test results and post the numerc test results on here so someone can help you confirm what your status is.

Click on my Tiger to read my short story. God Bless you as you try to have another baby.

To learn more about pregnancy and everyting about herpes read the info in my signature line.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.