Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Can my kids catch OHSV2?
frankmate posted:
I have had GHSV2 for 10 years. With my first outbreak I had what was thought to be Tonsiliitis (white patches on the tonsils etc). I have never that I am aware of had any coldsores/sores in mouth etc. My Husbnad has had GHSV2 for 7 years and has only perfomred oral a handful of times in that time. My question is, he has recently had dental work done and has broke out in what we have been told is a intraoral herpes outbreak on his palate. He has never as far as he has been aware had a coldsore. I am now worried that he has caught OHSV2 off me if I have been asymtomatically shedding. I wasn't diagnosed with Type 2 until my children were 1 and 3 and in this time have shared drinks/food, lots of kisses, etc and I am now worrying like mad that we have passed this on to the kids. They have never shown any coldsore signs etc but have had the usualy childhood ailments, but I never thought when they were ill to check inside their mouths etc and maybe I may of missed something?

abe648 responded:
Your post is confusing. Where do you have herpes? Orally or genitally? And which type in which location. How were you confirmed that you have HSV 1 or 2? Was it by a blood test or a swab/culture that was typed? The more info you can give the better your questions can be answered. Read more about herpes in my signature line link below.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

frankmate replied to abe648's response:
I have tested positive for ghsv2 by swab. From what I can gather looking back on first OB that got misdiagnosed these white patches on my tonsils could be OHSV2? Even though I have never had any noticeable coldsore outbreaks my question is even though my Husband does not perform oral sex and has only ever done it a handful of times (I don't particularly like it) could he of contrActed ohsv2 either from me genitally or if Imindeed do have OHSV2 from me if I have been asymptomatically shedding? With his initial OB he did not have any symptoms in his mouth only down below and flu symptoms (body aches etc ). I have read that OHSV2 is rare but what are the chances that if we do have it we could of passed it on to our children either asymptomatically shedding or if we were having a OB in our mouths that we thought was just a ulcer etc. The outbreak there now has been caused by dental work And he says that he would of remembered if he had of had one like this before. My fear is that seeming as we both had this virus for a few years without knowing until I was diagnosed that we weren't looking for symptoms and may of somehow passed this on orally.

frankmate replied to frankmate's response:
I know there is a hc ace that it could be OHSV1 but he does not recall ever having had a coldsore, he is 48.

abe648 replied to frankmate's response:
The odds of you getting HSV2 orally are low. Approx only about 3% of people get HSV 2 orally. So when you had the swab/culture typed they told you it is HSV 2 orally? If so then you would have it but the good news is that HSV 2 orally does not have a lot of ob's and so does not have a lot of chance of you transmitting it to you kids. I think for starters I would get your husband to get a type specific Igg blood test for
HSv 1 & 2 to see what his status is. Then If he does not have HSV 1 or 2 he at least does not have to worry about giving it to the kids . I think that you may want to get the same test to see what you have. If both of you get tested ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them onhere so someone can confirm your status.

I think that you may benfit from Terri Warran's Book as per my signature line below. The cost is reasonable and would help to educate yourself about herpes.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

He is not willing to have any kind of testing done as he does not see the point 'we have it so what' but I am so worried that we may have passed this on. What makes me think this could be Ohsv2 is that when he had his first outbreak with noticeable symtpoms of ghsv2 he had flu like symptoms and from what I've read if you have hsv1 then you don't get the flu symptoms when your infected with hsv2? I have had my genital lesions swabbed and confirmed as ghsv2 but as my only oral symptoms were white bits on my tonsils and my initial primary outbreak was diagnosed have never had the chance to have my mouth swabbed but have since been told that these white bits that were present on my tonsils could very well of been ohsv2. If either of us had a oral OB that wasn't noticeable what are the chances of the kids contracting it via every days kisses, sharing drinks. Would it answer as easy to the oral area through brief contact? X

Lets start with yourself. You know you have HSV 2 genitally. Since who ever looked at your tonsils if they thought it was some type of herpes they should have swabbed/cultured/typed it. So now there is no way of knowing what that was. If you have never given your husband oral sex and never ever given oral to any other male in your life time then odds of it being HSV 2 orally are low. For you I would get an igg blood test for HSV 1 and if it comes back positive then I would think that you have HSV 1 orally. Most HSV infections in the oral area show up on the lip. Some women get sores in the throat area but that is only because of oral sex on a male. The fact that you think that since your husband gave you oral and then may have spread it to your oral area is quite a remote chance that you would get it. First because the HSV 2 does not like the oral area and it would not be likely for him to get HSV 2 orally as he already has HSV 2 genitally and so has anti bodies built up which would not likely allow him to get HSV 2 orally. That is the same reason to believe that you do not have HSV 2 orally.

PS I had to break it into two posts

When it comes to the kids remember that HSV whether it be 1 or 2 takes romantic kissing to transmit it to someone else. You are not going to give them romantic kissing so there is no real reason to be worried.

When it comes to your husband when he went to the dentist they thought that it looked like herpes in his mouth then again they should have swabbed/cultured/typed it so that he would know that it is herpes and what type of herpes it was. Remember that for both you and him when someone looks at something and the think it is herpes on average they have a 50% chance of being wrong. So if you husband knows for sure that he has HSV 2 then if he gets tested for HSV 1 and it comes back negative I would think that he only has HSV 2 genitally.

I see this as worry that you have. So if you want to get tested as I noted above for your piece of mind do so and let us know what the numeric result was so we can help you confirm your status. If your husband does not want to get tested then just let be. Love him even if he does not want to get tested.

God Bless your family and let us know how things go.

Thank you for your reply. I think we some how got our wires muddles up. I am pretty sure I got Ohsv2 and ghsv2 on the same night years before I met my husband, as I had genital symtpoms and white bits on my tonsils. My ghsv2 has been swabbed and it is hsv2 but they never swabbed anything orally as I was originally misdiagnosed. I have performed oral on my husband on a regular basis. He contracted ghsv2 after a few months together, in our years together he has only gone down on me a handful of times. I do not recall him with his first OB having any oral symptoms just flu like. But I have read that if you have hsv1 antibodies you don't get flu symptoms and he did which leaves me thinking he has probably contracted it orally either from kissing me romantically if I am asymptomatically shedding (never had any oral symptoms, only white bits on tonsils with first OB) or maybe unlucky and got it orally on one of the few times after he'd gone down on me? Do you know if it is uncommon for people that hsv1 to get flu symptoms when they contract hsv2?

I do not know if you would get sick from HSV 1. But if you got IOHSV and GHSV on the same night then you could still have not necessarily gottten HSV 2 irakky. It is possible that you got HSV 1 orally at that time. I would recommend that you get a HSV 1 igg blood test to see if you have HSV 1. Ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here so someone can help confirm your status. If you come back poitive for HSV 1 then most likely you have HSV 1 orally.
Just because you preform oral on your husband does not nessecaly mean you have HSV 2 orally. Get the HSV 1 Blood test and let us know in this post.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.