Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV 2 igG results went up
mbar1 posted:
A few months ago I had unprotected sex with a partner I was for about 6 months.
After that, I found out he cheated and broke up with him (in early September). I freaked out but couldnt get brave enough to go to the GYN to get fully STD tested for the first time in my life (I never had sex before this guy). I finally did in late November.
I tested negative for everything except HPV and HSV-2.
The lady from my doctor's office told me my HSV level was too low so she would want me to retest in 4 weeks, which I just did.

Apparently, my first level was 1.0 and I just got the results today in 1.39

I'm sad, freaked out and don't know what to do.
Does this mean that I definitely have HSV2?
I haven't had any sexual encounter with anybody since september with my ex.

Please let me know what to do next. Do you recommend to retest? If so, in how many months. Should I use the same igG test or do another one and how long do I have to wait for it also, etc....

Please HELP. I'm too embarrassed to share with my family or friends and i'm desperate

abe648 responded:
This could be false positive and since it has been more than 6 months since your encounter you should be a lot higher than this if you were positive.

The best thing to do is go and get a Western Blot test done which is the most accurate at the present. I think a lot of labs can do it for you but if you want more info google U of Wash and look for the Western Blot test. This will tell you if you have HSv 2 or not. Also read the info in my signature line below.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

mbar1 replied to abe648's response:
Hi! Thanks for your reply.
I called my doctor's office today to request further testing, but she said that the first level, 1.0 indicated "exposure" to the virus, but since the level went up, that means i definitely have herpes

abe648 replied to mbar1's response:
You are in the positive range but a very low positive. Most people after 5 months are at a figure that lets them know that they do or do not have herpes. Terri warren who is the medical person on this site usually would not consider a person as having herpes unless they are at or are very close to 4.00 as the numeric value on the igg blood test. At tnis point I would not wait to take another igg blood test but as advised before go for the Western Blot Test
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.