Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Just diagnosed with genital herpes
connol_j posted:
I have just been diagnosed with genital herpes and I have so many questions that I really hope can be answered. I had an outbreak 3 days after sex with my boyfriend. He has not experienced any outbreaks before ? Is it possible he gave it to me? We've been dating for three months. Is it only contagious when an outbreak occurs? Is it possible I contracted it from someone else 3 months earlier and just has an outbreak now? We continued to have unprotected sex when my outbreak was clearing up because I pro ally thought it was a hemorrhoid, how come he hasn't has any outbreaks? Are men and women different? Sorry for all the silly questions but his physical results aren't back yet and I just want to know if its him that most likely have it to me. Should we still continue to have unprotected sex? Oral sex?

abe648 responded:
You or your bf could have had this for years and never had an ob that you thought of as herpes.

How were you diagonised as having herpes. Was it just a look see by the Doc and said it was herpes? If so then that is not how it is supposed to be done. If the Doc took a swab/culture and told you it was herpes did the Doc confirm for you which type of herpes it was HSV 1 or HSV 2? If not then call the Doc's pffoce amd ask them to call the lab and get them to type which one it was. It is helpful to know if it was hsV 1 Or HSV 2 genitally.

It is up to your bf to decide if he wants to continue having sex. He may or may not have HSV of which ever type it is and so he may want to wait till he gets his results back. Ask him to get a copy of his numeric test results and post them on here so we can help him confirm if he does or does not have HsV 1 or 2.

To learn more read the info in my signature line below and i will respond to your answers that I asked above.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

connol_j replied to abe648's response:
No I do get my yearly physical so judging by your response herpes is not only contagious during an outbreak and I guess I could have contracted it within the last year and not even have known. It's just weird that the ob happened 3 days after sex.. Although we did have sex before that and nothin has happened. Anyway.. My results came back from my pap that it may be genital herpes but it wasn't 100 percent so they took a blood test to check for hsv 1 or 2 I guess. My boyfriend made the choice to continue sleeping with me but is going to get a physical. Is it true that the first outbreak is the worst? I have done alot of research and am going to inquire about medication because I never want an outbreak again or as frequent as possible and when I received this news I was very upset but I am learning how to deal with it. I am still wanting for the results from my doctor though. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

abe648 replied to connol_j's response:
You need to call the Doc's office and ask if they took a type specific Igg blood test for hsv 1& 2? If not then it was a waste of your time and money. If that was the test you had done then when you get the results ask for a copy of the results and post them on here so we can confirm that you got the correct test and to help you figure out your status. The numeric results will be something like this. HSV 1 igg is 2.25 and the HSV 2 igg is 1.20 or what ever it says.

Your bf does not need a medical to see what his status is.What he needs is a type specific igg blood test for hsv 1 & 2. Ask him to also get a copy of his numeric test results and post them on here like I explaind to you what it looks like. above.

You can have herpes for years like 20, 25 or 30 years and have been faithful all those years to each other and suddenly get an ob. You can also shed the virus even when you do not have an ob.

The first ob is usually the worst. The reason you need to know which type it is, is that you can get HSV 1 in the genital area from oral sex and HsV 1 genitally does not have a lot of obs. On average HSV 1 you will have the orginal ob and then on average one more that year and then on average one ob every other year.

Read the info outlined in my signature line below. Click on the Tiger and see my brief story.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.