Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Abnormal Pap Smear / Yeast Infection? Help.
An_250264 posted:
Hi everyone.

I went for a pap smear a few weeks ago. They tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea as well.

I got a call back that the pap smear came back abnormal, and if I wanted them to send the test back to the lab to determine what exactly was abnormal about it, I'd have to come in and pay 93 dollars. I thought this was absurd, as I thought that was what I was paying for to begin with, so I had the results sent to another OBGYN.

I was told that the results were "atypical", but it looked like I had a yeast infection (which the previous doctor had NEVER mentioned or treated.) I don't have any symptoms, and neither chlamydia or gonorrhea were mentioned when giving me the results, so I'm assuming it's not this. From the sounds of it, could it have just been the yeast infection causing the abnormal pap smear? I was told to come back in 6 months, but I still worry.

Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
Is there a question here or would you like us all to guess what this abnormal pap result meant to save you the 93 bucks...

Gail

lmt1130 replied to georgiagail's response:
Well, Gail, to answer YOUR completely rude question, I'm asking for opinions, or as to whether or not yeast infections can cause abnormal results.

elle0317 replied to lmt1130's response:
Abnormal paps normally refer to an HPV infection. Pap's test your cervix for abnormal cells that could possibly lead to cervical cancer.

lluter replied to elle0317's response:
Many pap test come back abnormal and many with yeast present. The cytologist reading the slide is simply reading what he/she sees. If you don't have symptoms of a yeast infection, some would argue that no treatment is required. This is easily treated with over the counter products. The advice you received about returning in 6 months for a follow-up visit is sound as you'll want to know that this atypical finding has not progressed. Yeast and other infections can cause inflammation which the cytologist will also report.

Helpful Tips

genital warts remedy?
had the genital wart problem before but i'm free from it now (still use protection, though because HPV is there forever). so anyway, i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.