Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV 2 frustrated
An_250278 posted:
I had my first outbreak in November, went on medication and it cleared up right away. Basically without much of a break, I believe I have had a second outbreak but in a different location. It happened around the holidays and my doctor didn't see me but suggested I take the medicine again. It has been two months and my symptoms have lessened to a degree but have not gone away. Some days are better than others. I am at a loss as what I have read, symptoms generally do not last this long. The health professionals I have spoke to all have different opinions yet no one has really taken the time to even look at my problem area. I am not sure what is going on with me and not sure what kind of doctor to go to. Any suggestions would be great.

abe648 responded:
Are you Male or Female? If you are a Female then there are other things going on down yonder like a bacterial infection which can happen a lot. Follow up with a Gyn. Where were your ob's the two different locations that you think you had?.

If a male could describe where the obs were and perhaps there are other things going on.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

kayaker1 replied to abe648's response:
Hi, thank you for getting back to me. To be more specific, I am a female who had the first outbreak on the labia. As soon as it cleared, I became uncomfortable in the rectal area. When I finally got to see a doctor she examined me but NOT in the area I was having a problem. She said anytime I had symptoms to take Valtrex 2 times a day. I have 3 small bumps in the area that have not gone away in 2 months and I have cyclical burning, a have a burning for approx. 3 days and then feel better but not perfect for the other days, then it starts again, althouth the burning has decreased in severity. A midwife at the same practice took a peek but didn't give me any solid answers.

I have read the above mentioned book and feel I have a handle on what herpes is normally about and feel like I can deal with it. Not having answers about what has been going on with me for the past 2 months is the difficult part. I can't afford to keep going to this doctor and that one and not get any definiative answers. I am also confused as to how one doctor and one midwife in the same practice gave me different advice on taking the medicine and don't know what dose to really be on.

Again thank you for any input.

lluter replied to kayaker1's response:
Kayaker, as you can tell, that different providers often can give you very different information, regardless of whether they are in the same practice or not. You need a definitive diagnosis and a thorough exam is part of that process. Being busy is no excuse for not doing that. The best professional for getting at this is a trained OB/GYN physician.

You should also know that this virus gets into the nerve roots and it is not uncommon for you to have symptoms in areas where you don't see an apparent skin lesion. Often times, you'll get symptoms there before you even see a lesion. Good luck.

abe648 replied to kayaker1's response:
You are right that this does not sound like herpes as it is staying for a longer time than herpes normally does and is not going away. Like the last poster said you need to be seen by a Doc who will take the time to evaluate this properly. That means you going to see a Doc when it as at its worst and make sure the Doc takea swab/cultures it and then they should ask for typing to confirm exxaclty what it is.

You are in obfious discomfort and wha is on the anal area dos not sound like herpes but the only way to know for is to get it swabb/cultured/typed to confirm what is going on. If you are not happy with the answers then go to a different Doc for further workup.

If you had a mechanic that did not fix your car then you would find a diferent mechanic to fix your car. This is the same thing as your car but involves your health.

I am not a medical professional U am just giving you the best info I can.

When it comes tto dosage then go to the link in my signature line and look at the Herpeds Handbook and it will tell you the proper dosage to take depending if you are taking it as required or if you are tqaking it as a suppressive therapy.

We can all learn from others so once you find out what it is come back and share it with us so we can all learn.
God Bless you
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Thank you all for your input. Even just putting it all into words on here helps me get a better perspective on the path I need to take. The worst feeling in the world is not knowing what to do especially when the doctors seem wishy washy. I will certainly keep you posted.

By the way what R/x are you taking for GH?

Are you takeing it for each ob or are you taking it every day as a suppressive therapy?

How much are you taking each day when it is taken? ie how many mg's each time you take it? How many times do you take it in a day?

I have been taking the generic for Valtrex. My doctor said to take 1 gram twice a day (morning and evening at equal intervals) while having outbreaks. The suppressive is 1 gram once a day. I had been doing the two pills a day for over 2 months now. I have decided to try the suppressive dose and see what happens. I am planning on going back to the doctor when the symptoms hit full swing again. There is nothing worse than going into the doctor and them saying, you have to come in when you have the symptoms.

why_me replied to kayaker1's response:
For 10 years I took 500mg Valtrex once a day everyday. After my recent annual exam my Dr. talked me into stopping the suppressive therapy. That was a mistake. Within a week I had an outbreak this is the first one in 10 years. I can't seem to get rid of this outbreak. I called the Dr. today and asked her to call in a refill and I don't plan to stop taking the medication again for quit some time. I recommend starting the suppressive therapy if you can afford it. It is costly but I like the peace of mind.

The correct dosage if you are going to take it as a supressive therapy is only 500 mgs once perday. The only time you should be taking 1 gm per day is if you get 10 or more ob's per year. I would urge youu to go and look at the Herpes Handbook as per my signature line and then print off the portion you need and take it to your Doc along with the link to the Herpes Handbook so he can look at this him self. The issue in the anal area does not sound like herpes but it could be and so that is the reason that a look see is not good enough. It should be swabbed cultured and if it is herpes the Doc should type it as well so you know which type of herpeds it is. Hope all gets resolved with you and that you can get this to settle down again.
God Bless you.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.