Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Just got tested...
mpadilla88 posted:
So I've been dating (and having sex with) the same guy for seven/eight months now. The sex, though, is unprotected, so I may or may not be at risk for HIV. I plan to get tested for it, though, and I did ask him if he got tested. He said he did and that he tested negative. So, should I even worry? He's been having sex longer than I have been, so the symptoms would have shown up by now. Also, I had blood work done in November of last year, we have been sexually active since May/June. If anything suspect was there, then my doctor would have said something.
To be safe though, I got tested this afternoon, and also did a urine test for chlamydia/gonorrhea, and a blood test for Hepatitis C and B. I should have the results of those tests back within two to three days. On a side note, my third HPV shot is due in May.
I am glad I got tested today, but then again I'm pretty nervous about what the results are going to be.

georgiagail responded:
It would have been a tad smarter to get tested prior to having unprotected sex with the fellow for the past seven to eight months...but hopefully he is STD free.

And yes, if you're doing the fully range of STD testing, HIV testing should be included. You are engaging in unprotected sex with him.

Gail

mpadilla88 replied to georgiagail's response:
He says he's tested several times in the past, including the beginning of this year...but I don't really know what to believe so I figured I should get tested. Also, I had a pap done late last year and nothing abnormal was detected.

georgiagail replied to mpadilla88's response:
A Pap test does not screen for STD's; it only checks for changes in the cells on the cervix. The fact you had a normal one done last year is, unfortunately, no indication of your current STD status.

Gail

abe648 replied to georgiagail's response:
Why dont you come out and ask him for a copy of his test results. If he does not have them then ask him to go to where he was tested and get a copy and that will help you figure out what you may or may not be exposed to.

Did you get tested for HSV 1 & 2 with a type specific igg blood test so you know your HSV status. If you did not why not get him to go with you if he has not been tested for HSV and get tested together.

Just because he has never shown any symptoms that is no reason to. think he does not have STD'S? STD'S do not always show symtoms. So he could have an STD and have no signs of them.

Let us know what your numeric test results were for the igg type specific blood testing for HSV 1 & 2 so we can confirm for you what your status is.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

mpadilla88 replied to georgiagail's response:
I do realise that, which is partly why I chose to get specifically tested for HIV yesterday. But still, I have heard that paps can detect any abnormalities related to STDs.

mpadilla88 replied to abe648's response:
I did not have the HSV 1 and 2 test, I was not even informed that there was such a thing. Though, had I been told previously, I would have taken that as well.
I should also note that I took hepatitis tests back in November, the same time I had the pap done. The results of those tests came back negative, so I am hoping that I will test negative this time around for the same tests.

abe648 replied to mpadilla88's response:
You should get tested for HsV as I noted above and your bf as well.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

mpadilla88 replied to abe648's response:
I agree, I will get tested for that and maybe have my boyfriend come get tested with me as well. I am not sure that he would be willing to, though.
Right now I'm just stressing out over the HIV test, as I have no idea what the results are going to be. I do feel bad that I might have screwed up, I am going to admit.

Helpful Tips

how do you feel towards the ONE WHO GAVE YOU HERPES
Did you know that 90% of people living with Herpes, DON'T KNOW THEY HAVE IT . Thats a big number. So you just found out you have Herpes, ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.