Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Neg Herpes Culture, Acyclovir seems to be working.
An_250497 posted:
As a very tall, slim young woman I have always had issues with penis size since staring to engage in intercourse at the age of 14. I usually always have swelling, sometimes it is a lot worse then other occasions. And I would on occasion experience some painful urination but after a couple of days both of these things go away and my vagina is feeling back to normal. On February 2 I engaged in unprotected sex with a new partner and as usual felt some discomfort after sex, pain and swelling. The pain consisted into the whole week and I just attributed it to the fact that I had not had sex before that night in about a month. On Feb 8th we tried having intercourse again but the pain was to unbearable and when I went to the bathroom I experience the most pain during urination since the 2nd. Into the next couple of days i experienced extreme pain every time I urinated and set up an appointment to see my doctor the 13th. The night before the appointment I noticed a sore and that is when the first thought that i could have herpes came to mind. At my appointment she checked the sore and confirmed that there were a couple more sores that a couldn't see and it took her less than 10 secs of looking at it to say, "It looks like herpes". I'm immediately histarical and screaming in the room (embarrassing i know). She doesn't even try to tell me it is something else which makes me feel like she really does think its herpes. She cultures the sores and puts me on Acyclovir 400mg 3 times daily as well as Dibucaine ointment. That night I start having excruciating pain in my legs and sensitivity on different areas of the skin on my legs and foot. The pain come and goes in waves and i take Ibprofen which helps. Feb 15th I call my doctor back about my leg pain and she request that I come in to have it looked at. There is no swelling or redness and she doesn't have an exact answer for me, but she takes a look at my sores on my vagina stating that they all look like they are healing except for one new sore. She then states, "Sometimes shingles can be mistaken for herpes but I don't think this is the case". I really wish she wouldn't of said that because its haunted me since. Feb 16th all the pain in my legs has concentrated to my left foot and it is very sensitive to the touch as well as cold temperature. It doesn't always have a constant pain but sometimes it only hurts a little and then others I can hardly move until the pain goes away. That night I was limbing around my house. Today (Feb 18th) my Culture came back negative and I am feeling very discouraged. My sores were roughly new and open when she scraped them and I was not yet on the Acyclovir. As for my sores now they are all but gone except for one and do not hurt when i urinate or itch. Because they are healing this leads me to believe that i do indeed have herpes and that the medicine is working. Also since about Feb 11th ive had dark thick black discharge and I am on the birth control pill and do not start my period for another week. Please someone give me some of your opinions.

JW5252 responded:
Male partners blood test came back positive. I now know my culture was indeed a false negative.

abe648 replied to JW5252's response:
Get a Type Specific igg blood test in about 3 months and you should be positve at that time. the Doc took the swab to late for a propger result.

Do not stay with this guy if you do not feel it is right. There will be someone who will love you uncondtinally.

Was he positive for HSv 1 or 2?

See more info in my signauter line.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.