Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Worried about STD Transmission
TampaJay01 posted:
The other night, while at a club, a woman of unknown STD status unexpectedly kissed me twice on the lips. The kisses were closed-mouthed, lasted a second or two, but were rather hard feeling. My lips were extremely chapped that night and cracked/flaking. They did not bleed throughout the day or night that I am aware of, but I noticed you could see a deeper red (almost like blood) in the cracks made from the flaking. I also had a canker sore inside my mouth. I've read where kissing is never a risk for HIV infection or really any other STD's. I am concerned, however, that my chapped lips put me at high risk. I didn't notice any odd spots on her lips, but I really didnt pay much attention. I am usually pretty OCD about things though, so I'm sure I would have been hyper-aware if I did notice anything. I'm just not remembering now.

Could I get HIV or any other STD (Herpes, Syphilis, etc.) from this incident?
Should I be tested?

georgiagail responded:
No, you are not at risk for herpes, syphilis, or HIV from these quick pecks on your lips, chapped lips or not.

Gail

TampaJay01 replied to georgiagail's response:
I asked my doctor for some general STD tests, and I am concerned about the Herpes test ordered. I went to labcorp and got a "Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Types 1/2, IgG Evaluation With Reflex to Herpes Type 1-/2- Specific, IgG"

I've seen on some other forums where this is a worthless test, because they do a non-specific combo and if you're negative no further testing (specific) is warranted. If I am negative on the combo portion and since they don't run the specific tests on each, I might actually not be negative? I am so confused on this.

abe648 replied to TampaJay01's response:
Like Gail said you would not get herpes from your encounter. How ever if you have been sexually active in the past then you could have herpes and havve no idea/symtoms that you have it but you could still have it.

From what I have gleaned on this site the combo of HSV 1/2 is in accurate form of testing. From what I have learned is that you need to get a :type specific igg blood test for HSV 1 & 2" so that you get sepearte values for each type.If you get the above type specific igg blood test for HSV 1 & 2 then ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here in this post so someone can confirm your status.

Look at the info in my signture line. .
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

FearlessFem responded:
Yes, you can get herpes from a closed mouth two second kiss. Herpes sheds invisibly 40% of the time. The ONLY way to tell what kind of herpes you might have contracted is to have a very sensitive BLOOD TEST called HerpeSelect IgG. Depending on the Index Value of the numbers which come back from your test will tell you if it is a NEW infection or whether you have already had it for months or years. And you might be lucky and not have it at all. Get this blood test and make sure it is the correct test. 90% of people who carry herpes do NOT know they carry it and are passing it to others regularly. Read up on this on the Westover Heights Clinic web site.

georgiagail replied to FearlessFem's response:
Keep in mind as an adult it is highly likely you already carry HSV1 since most of us do and have never had an outbreak.

Gail

elle0317 replied to FearlessFem's response:
40% of the time? After 7 years of kissing my husband everyday, who has hsv-1, how come I don't have it? Where did the '40%' come from? I believe it's closer to 4-5% of the time.

abe648 replied to FearlessFem's response:
As I stated above I had already indicated that this person should get a type specific igg blood test. The HerpesSlect is just a brand name that someone is using. It is like saying do you drive a Chev or a Ford car. Instead of do you drive a car.

I have had genital HSV 2 for 30 years and I think that I used condoms maybe 5 dozen in that time and my wife still does not have GH. I know that I am not the only one who has had GH for many years and have a spouse or partner that does not have GH. There are many discordantt couples and I do thank God that she has not gotten GH from me so far.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

TampaJay01 replied to abe648's response:
Hey Everyone!

I really appreciate your comments. I inquired about my test and was told that I am negative for both HSV I and II. The lab indicated that nothing was found for either, therefore no need to retest unless I have another sexual experience. I asked about the specific test and they just said that it was not necessary because no indications of either were found in my blood.

2muchluv4u2nite replied to TampaJay01's response:
I wouldn't trust those godless doctors, the only way to be sure is to wait and see if symptoms appear.

Pullout_baby42 replied to georgiagail's response:
Most of the physicians I've worked with as a beekeeper are actually godless people who use their "faith" to gain trust from their patients. The true way to heal is through prayer and spiritual flagellation. I would suggest flagellation on the infected area which is just how I cured my child's cough. The power of The Lord be with you Tampajay and be sure to read what the bible says about your medicinal "witchcraftery" georgiagail. True healing is through scripture. Mark 1:42

georgiagail replied to Pullout_baby42's response:
Quite frankly, you're off the deep end mentally.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.