Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Epididymitis ...at a loss
An_250777 posted:
Hi,

I've been diagnosed with bacterial epididymitis and have now been suffering for 6 weeks. It all started after a sexual episode so im quite certain the bacterial diagnosis is correct.

I started with significant swelling in my scrotum, mostly on the left side but also on the right. Day 1 I was prescribed azithromyicn and told it should clear up. Day 5 I went back to doctor with no improvement and they prescribed levofloxacin for 14 days.

About 5 days into the levo the swelling subsided, but I was left with quite an obvious mass on the back of my left teste and could feel the enlarged epidymis like a huge vein along the back of the teste. When I touch that area I felt quite nauseous (like after being kicked in the nuts). At this point I started getting frequent tingling throughout the day in the left teste and a fairly regular dull ache.

Unfortunately 10 days into the levo the swelling came back, so I went back to the doctor and they gave me a shot of rocephin and 10 days of doxycycline to rule out gonorreah.

After the rocephin the swelling subsided but I was left with the mass and tingling and aching mentioned above. At this point I noticed my left teste is hanging a good inch or more lower than my right - way lower than normal - and probably due to the inflammation mass weighing heavily on the back of the teste.

Back to the doctors now my antibiotics had run out - he put me on another 2 weeks of levo. Said it might take up to a month of levo to kill non-claumydia and non-gonorreah bacterial such as ecoli or staph.

About a week into the second course of levo I had the best improvement - 2 full days without pain, tingling or swelling, but it was short lived.

I finished the 2nd course of levo, now on 5 straight weeks of antibiotics, and still have the mass of enlarged epidymis in the left teste, as well as tingling and dull ache throughout the day.

I went back to the doctor after the 2nd course finished. Note that up until now I had 2 urine tests and 2 blood tests and all came back negative for any stds - but I was advised that was probably because of all the antibiotics I had been on.

At this point my doctor got me an ultrasound which confirmed a slightly enlarged left epidymis but 'unremarkable' and a varicocele on the left teste. I have no idea how the epidymis came up as unremarkable as I can practically see the swollen thing through the scrotum, but that was the result.

My doctor asked for a semen sample after 48 hrs of no antibiotics. He wants to try to sample the culture and find what bacteria is there - note this was never done before I got on antibiotics so I never knew. I took the sample and got the metrics back - significantly high WBC of 15HPF which apparently shows I am fighting some infection in my sperm delivery system. RBC of zero but im not sure what that means. I am still waiting for the culture results next week, but doctor said dont get too hopeful you may need to be off antibiotics for 10 days to get a successful culture.

He put me on a strong dose of augmentin for 4 days - 2g a day - but admitted at this point it's a guessing game until we get the bacteria culture. I'm into day 4 of the augmentin with no improvement.

Now I'm really worried. The constant swelling, aching, tingling throughout the day is making me completely useless at work and even disrupting my sleep. I am fearful of losing my job and fear I am falling into a depression over this. The doctor said I've been through all the right antibiotics to rule out claumydia and gonorreah and that this is likely some weird Ecoli or staph bacteria, and he can't confirm that we will even know what antibiotic will work. Also he suggests part of the problem is the epidymis is so hard to get to that even with the right antibiotic I may not see improvement!

I have so many questions....I can't imagine living with this as I am otherwise a fit and super health freak 30 yo... This has prevented me from doing any exercise over the past 6 weeks and otherwise killing my life.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? Anyone experienced the same thing? I read about horror stories of epididymitis but most of them are the non-bacterial type. Given mine is bacterial is there a certain cure or possibly not? Am I at risk of infertility? Would I transfer the infection to my future wife If I can't get rid of it? Is it something that can just 'burn out' over time as some websites suggest?

I am at the end of my line here and would love to hear for experts and others who have successfully treated this - I want success stories and direction for a cure, I am not ready to give up and give in to this yet. All of your input is greatly appreciated.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.