Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Have I got HIV??
An_250781 posted:
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this and help me out.
I went to my clinic the other day and found out that I have got Genital Warts (HPV virus) which is currently in the process of being treated. I also did the urine test and blood test - with the results to come back a week from now.

I am freaking out over whether or not I have HIV, and would like to know if any of you think it's possible that i do. In my life I have only ever had 3 Sexual partners, one being a girlfriend and two being casual. The last time I had sex was last summer (July 2012), 8 months ago.

However, in late August last summer I did go on a holiday with my friends to Magaluf, and one night i was led away by one of the street prostitutes there, and in my drunken stupor i went along with it. I remember putting a condom on and she gave me oral sex, which i'm almost certain is all that happened. I also vaguely remember her mouth having wart/spot like features on it. Would this explain the Genital warts? Is it possible for genital warts to be passed on via oral sex, despite the fact that I wore a condom? Or is this definitely from one of my previous sex partners?

What i am particularly worried about is, thinking back on it, a month after receiving oral sex from this prostitute I broke out in a rash, what I assumed was an allergic reaction. I did also have swollen lips, I went to my doctor and got antihistamines and I was better almost instantly, however having checked online it does say that one of the symptoms of HIV is that after about a month of infection, you break out in a rash. Do I potentially have HIV or am I being stupidly paranoid? Also do the tests I have taken include the test for HIV or must I get another one?

Thanks a lot for your help and apologies for rambling on.

georgiagail responded:
You are not at risk for HIV from this encounter.

Even with UNPROTECTED oral sex, the estimated per act risk is just .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

In your case, the oral sex was protected (i.e., a condom was used). Even assuming the prostitute was HIV positive, this virus cannot cross an intact latex barrier.

Gail

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.