Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Long Distance Relationship and hsv-1
emilykyuso posted:
Please help me, I don't know what to do anymore... So I've met this guy over 1 year ago on a dating site. We are talking everyday since then and we are a distant couple. We finally want to move on and meet each other in real life. Before that, we decided to get tested for STD's and HIV. He booked a ticket already and we will meet in 2 weeks.

I did my test on Saturday and the results came to me today. I have been diagnosed with HSV 1 and I am shocked. I told him immediately because I got very depressed. He was surprised and he asked me how did I get it. I couldn't remember any symptoms, and then I realized I had sore throat one time 4 years ago. It was terrible and I couldn't get rid of it for 2 weeks. 4 years ago I was treated with antibiotics and I didn't have any outbreak since then.

He doesn't talk a lot about what is he thinking so I don't know what to do, he said "actions have consequences" and "now because of you having herpes we both will have it"... I am so confused, I don't know what to do!! Please give me some support, I didn't consult the results with my doctor yet. He also said something like "now you have to fix it, just so you know if I kiss you I get it too, so I would strongly advise you to go to a doctor before I get there"... I am so shocked, I'm scared he'll leave me... Please help me...

abe648 responded:
I want you to know that lots of people have HSV 1. You most likely have it orally and got it from a mom or dad or a relative.. it is common that by the time you are 60-70 uears old approx 70% of people have it. It does not get a lot of obs and so all you have to do is avoid long heavy kissing if you have an ob.

This is not a deal breaker and look at it from this point of view and tell him that you have found out that it is very common and just because you have it does not mean that he will get it.

If the two of you hit it off on the net then the two of you can make the relationship last. If he thinks this is a big deal then he is not for you. It sounds like you are going to meet him. If so go and tell him that you will be there and just get to know each other. Do not dwell on the HSV 1.

If there are any other questions then ask so we can answer them for you. Let us know how the next two weeks go so we can help you if needed.
God Bless you as you prepare to and meet him.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.