Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Genital Warts with IUD
Nellie33 posted:
I have recently started getting external genital warts like more on my leg however every PAP comes up completely clean for STD's other than some abnormal cells he said was yeast and gave me medicine for. I am a smoker and i know i should stop if i want the warts to go away (easier said than done) but I am curious about getting the IUD. My gyno said the rumors about infections traveling up into your uterus and spreading an infection to cause infertility is very unlikely and that with these warts but im just a little concerned because he said these warts do mean i have HPV

I do want the IUD but just want to make sure it isnt going to travel up and cause any problems?

elle0317 responded:
Correct you can have warts, herpes, and any other STD but your PAP would still be clear. The reason is b/c a PAP doesn't test for anything but for abnormal cervical cell changes due to HPV, it's not an all encompassing STD screening. If you want STD screening you have to ask for it, a simple PAP won't.

HPV can effect women in two ways, genital warts or dysplasia (abnormal PAP).

As far as the IUD is concerned, I would follow what your Dr has said. Most people here are not in the medical field, a few are nurses, but as far as I know no Dr monitors or responds to these posts. I am not in the medical field, but have suffered from dysplasia, so I do know from experience these things I wrote about.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.