Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV Type 2
An_250926 posted:
I had an Igg level of 3.62 to HSV 2 twenty days after possible exposure. Based on that level, was it recent infection? I also tested positive to type 1 and that Igg level was .95. My Igm level was 2.23. I am trying to figure out if I was infected to type 2 from the partner I had twenty days prior to my blood test or more likely my partner from three months prior.

abe648 responded:
This could have been from either as after about 3 weeks some people can have farily high figures. At present you are a lower positive for HSV 2 .You are considered positive when you hit greater than 5.00 but I know that some knowlledgable Docs consider a person positive at the level of any result over 4.00.

It could have been either of them.

I am not a medical professional and can only tell you what I have gleened from this site.

Your HSV 1 level is close to a negative and that this point I would tend to thinkthat you are negative for HSV 1. Anything below 0.91 is considered negative so as you can see you are just above that and if you want to get tested again for a type specific igg blood test HSV 1 & 2 again you could be negative for HSV 1 and most likely positive for HSV 2. If you do get tested again it should be in another 3-4 weeks and see what your levels are then.

You can ignore the igm blood test as it should not hve been taken as it is not an accurate test to confirm genital herpes.

Why did you get tested in the first place? Did you have an ob or were you just checking to see if you had any STD'S?

Look at the links in my signature line and click on the Tiger to read a bit more about herpes and the rate of transmission to others.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

WaterUnicorn replied to abe648's response:
Thank you for your reply. I was tested because within days after having unprotected sex with my last partner, I had pain in my legs and feet, flu like symptoms and what I thought to be a pimple on my buttocks. I went to quick care and just by a visual exam, the doctor said it was a herpetic lesion. So then, 20 days after possible exposure, I went to my primary care doctor for the blood test, and those were my results.

abe648 replied to WaterUnicorn's response:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I can only tell you what I have learned on this site.

God Bless you and ask if you have anymore questions about any thing you need to know. There is nothing to personall to ask as if you do not ask you will not know the answer.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.