Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Standard Herpes Tesing & Igg Test Use
ajl081 posted:
How long has the Igg test been available and readily used for herpes testing? A few years ago I told past partners to get tested for herpes but I was not specific in telling them which type of test to get (I have genital HSV1 and I am hoping they got tested for both HSV1 and HSV2).

In general, when someone goes in to doctor and asks to get tested for herpes, do doctors usually test for both HSV1 and HSV2? If so, in general, how long has this been the standard practice?

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Anon_2000 responded:
The igg type specific igg blood test was first used from what I UNDERSTAND WAS STARTED IN 1995 BUT EEVEN TODAY THERE ARE UNFORMED Doc's who still do not know a lot about herpes. It has become more available in the past few years and there is no way of knowing how often both types are being asked for. ..

I am not a medical provessional.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.