Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Misdiagnosis of Herpes-2?
anotherone posted:
I went to my doctor for my annual pap. I requested for STD testing just to ease my mind. I have never been in contact with someone who I thought had herpes (I realize you don't have to have an outbreak to transmit). I have NOT had a break out. I had a blood test done and it was negative. My doctor said my results showed I had antibodies on my cervix for HSV-2. My pap come back with the following results...

Interpretation/Result:
Reactive cellular changes
Cellular changes consistent with Herpes simplex virus
Shift in flora of bacterial vaginosis

Comment/Recommendations:
Inflammation

Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Antibody Type 2, IgG >8.0
Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Antibody Type 1/2, IgM 3.34

I did have a UTI a week before I had the tests, would this affect my results. Would the BV have an affect?

I have read it can take 3-6 months for the virus to show up in the blood. I plan to get retested in June since that will have been 3 months since the contact for my last sexual encounter.

Is it possible to have a break out inside you and not know it? How did my pap show positive results?

Thanks!!

georgiagail responded:
Since both UTI's and bacterial vaginosis are bacterial based infections, neither would affect the accuracy of these test results for a viral based disease.

Gail

abe648 responded:
I am not a medical professional and can only tell you what your status is from what I have learned on this site. Any IgG blood test over 5.0 is positive.

Ignore the IgM blood test as it is not an accurate test for genital herpes..

Based on the IgG blood test of 8.0 would mean that you are positive for HSV 2. You are just one of the many people who have never had any issues with herpes and not even an ob but still are positive for Herpes and could possibly infect others even if you .do not have ob's.

Read the info in the signature line.

If you think the IgG blood test is wrong then get a Western Blot test for HSV 2 in 3 months like you said.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

anotherone replied to abe648's response:
My doctor said my blood test was negative and that my pap was positive. But I haven't had an outbreak so how can my pap be positive without a swab for a lesion or a culture test...

abe648 replied to anotherone's response:
I was going from what you said about the IgG blood results was 8.0 and from that it would appear that you would be positive for HsV 2 but I forgot that a Pap smear does not test for Herpes. So get the IgG type specific blood test for HSV 1 & 2 like you said in three months.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

My score of 8 came from an EIA test. Any idea of how accurate it is? I probably just need to suck it up and know I have the herps.

The figures that you provide look similar to an IgG test and your listing even says it was an IgG test so if that is correct then you would have herpes. But like I said I am not medical professional. I would call the Doc and see what the results say and let us know what the Doc's office says.

Yeah thats what I thought, too. Idk both tests say igm or igg. A level of 8 seems extremely high to me. I'm so confused. I'm just going to accept I have it and get retested in June. Thanks so much for your help.

Since you think that you have HSV 2 then you will need to tell any new partners that you have it or that you are still getting tested to know for sure. This does not mean the end of your sex life and many people have HSV 2 and do not have any ob's. Approx 20% of people have herpes and never get an ob.

God Bless you and once you get that test in 3 months come back and post the results in this post so we can give you any further help. Click on the Tiger to read more about herpes and my story.

Helpful Tips

Std
Hello, i realy don't want to say my name but im shure you know who i am ,my problem is im a gay 41yr old man my ex boyfriend gave me an ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.