Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Do regular doctors do STD testing?
helpmeplz4now posted:
Like if I called a random doctors office would they be able to do testing? thanks

georgiagail responded:
While any physician can order STD testing (they would simply refer you to a lab to do this), what you are likely looking for is a physician who specializes in Family Practice or Internal Medicine.

helpmeplz4now replied to georgiagail's response:
I have another question, would a hospital work? I am going to go ahead and try to make an appointment tomorrow.

georgiagail replied to helpmeplz4now's response:
Are you asking about an Emergency Room? Yes, although this is hardly something you would need to go to an ER for. It would also be incredibly expensive to get this through an ER.

Have you simply considered looking into your local Health Department or (if you have one in your area), a Planned Parenthood Organization? Both typically offer STD testing that is less expensive than through a physician or hospital.

Gail

Alright that sounds about right. I have been to my local health department (I went there at 7:00am in the morning) but when I got there everybody who was waiting looked really creepy and when I went to the service counter there was nobody there, someone saw me but totally ignored me. After standing there for about 5 minutes I left. That is why I would like to avoid local health departments if possible. I think they stink.

There is no planned parenthood around for miles, even if there was I don't think I would feel comfortable going in.

I ran out of time to do any sort of calling today, and I feel like I have been wasting a lot of your time, so I think my only option is to just call a bunch of random doctors offices, is a "Family Doctor" who I need to call? Because when I google search "doctor <my town's name>" I get a few doctors offices listed, should I just call like a "family medical center"?

Also, I have seen someone of the other doctors offices around town, they look pretty crappy, how safe is just a random doctor? I would hate to get an STD from the testing lol.

georgiagail replied to helpmeplz4now's response:
" I would hate to get an STD from the testing lol."

Unless you plan on having unprotected sex while at the office, that's not going to happen.

Gail

No, I meant like if they didn't sanitize the needles or something.

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.