Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

First Outbreak
Learning2Cope posted:
I just learne that i have genital herpies. Trying to deal with the very painful first outbreak. Does anyone have any helpful tips??

abe648 responded:
Ok so how long has this been going on? How were you tested to confirm that you have herpes?

Some OTC helps are Demoplasy (sp?) tje Blue can .... not the red one. This is an anestetic so it will num the area and feel good for a while. Do not be shy and tell the pharmasist why you want it and they can make sure you get the correct one. Do not worry the pharmisist has heard this all before like your Doctor has.

Take a soak in the tubby with epson salts and that will help as well.

I am guessing you are female and if so when going to the bathroom you can pour water over the area if it is bothering you while going. Or you can also pee in the shower or in the tub which will make you feel better.

Drink as much water and fluids as possible and you say why because that will make me go to the bathroom? The more water etc you drink the less acid in your urine and the less burning feeling there will be.

If possible walk around the house/apartment with no underwear on. Just wear a big old sloppy t-shirt so that the area can breathe and keep it as dry as possible down yonder.

If you have to go to work or school get some corn starch and put it in a container and each time you attend the bathroom then put more on the area and some in your underwear as well. Corn Starch acts as a drying agent and is very inexpensive.

Have they given you something to heal the herpes like acyclovir or valacyclovir so that it gets better. If not then call the Doc and get them to give you a R/x for one of these.

These are some helpful tips.

Read the info in my signature line below.

Let us know how things are going.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.