Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV-2 positive IGG test
Anon_4527 posted:
Hello,
a couple of years ago during some routine STD screening, my gyno at the time threw in a herpes test. I am not sure what type it was or the numeric value (if any). I have never had an outbreak or what I thought could be an outbreak. I am pretty familiar with my body. Anyway, I decided better to be safe than sorry, so I went on daily suppressive valtrex. I also disclosed my postive result with potential partners. It has been a couple of years, and during a routine physical, I asked for another herpes test. I was pretty astonished that few physicians give herpes tests (blood tests) unless it is a clear case of physical symptoms. anyway, i was given one and tested positive with a numeric value of 2.45, Does this mean anything? I have never had outbreaks. Granted, I am on daily suppressive therapy. Thanks for any help or suggestions. I fear going off suppressive therapy, because if i assymptomatically shed, I don't want my husband to have to deal with outbreaks potentially (he knows of my status).

abe648 responded:
Do you have a copy of the test results? If so what type of Herpes test was done? Was it an IgG blood test or an IgM blood test? If it was an IgG blood test could you also post the values for HSV 1 as well.

Once I have that I can give you further info.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
Sorry I just noticed that it was an IgG blood test and so the 2.45 would be considerd a low positive. One is considered positive at 5.00 or greater.
I am NOT a medical professsional but can only tell you from what i have learned from this site and others on this site.

You should go off the Valtrex for better testing results. I am not sure how long but from what I recall it should be at least amonth possibly more. Your Doc should know that and if not then get the Doc to refer you to a Doc who knows aboutt Herpes.

You can have herpes and have no out breaks.

Once off the Valtrex you can take another IgG blood test for HSV 2 or for more accurate results get a Western Blot test for HSV 2. That it the best test available.

If your Doc or Doc's do not know about it they can learn more and you can also by searching it at the U of Washington website.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
I had said in my last post that I am NOT a medical professional but it did not show up in the post.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.