Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Genital Warts
CaliBoy23 posted:
I'm a 23 year old male and today I found out I have genital warts. I've seen two previous doctors multiple times before finding out I have genital warts. I saw my primary doctor and a Gastroenterologist. Both assured me that they were only skin tags. I wanted these skin tags removed so I was referred to a Proctologist, who said that they were not skin tags but in fact genital warts. After hearing that it felt as if a bus hit me. I was, sad, mad, and angry. I'm sad because my love life is now over. I've never been in a serious relationship and I will never get to experience what having a partner is like. I'll never get to experience being in love with someone. How can someone love me now that I have genital warts? Isn't sex important in a relationship? I believe so and I will never get to fulfill that part if I had a partner. I'm mad because I wish I had been more careful. I'm ashamed with myself and believe this is my punishment for not being responsible and grown-up. I'm angry because how do two doctors not know what a wart looks like? This whole time I thought I was ok and asked if it was anything else but both assured me they were just skin tags. I'm furious and frustrated! I just don't what to do anymore.
Is it possible to still have an intimate relationship with someone who does not have genital warts? Or is my life really over?

An_251819 responded:
I can speak from the exact same experience when I found out I had GW-- I went through all the same emotions and beat myself up over it. That said, I have a happy ending.

I did test positive for HPV in addition to the doctor's visual diagnosis of the GW. The doctor gave me a cream to get rid of them; they disappeared very quickly.

Then I stopped partying (was in college at the time) and focused on being healthy: eating better, getting a full 8 hours of sleep, going to bed at 10 and waking up at 8, so on and so forth.

Not 3-4 months later multiple tests showed that I had essentially cured myself of HPV. It didn't show up in my tests whatsoever. I haven't had to worry about it since.

Your life isn't over! While embarrassing initially, outward GW can be easily removed and HPV is curable with time and a healthy immune system

oilicecr replied to An_251819's response:
An_251819 there actually is no cure for HPV so I'm not quite sure why your doctor told you that you were cured. You might want to ask him/ her if it's gone "UNDETECTABLE" rather then "CURED".

Please read the following information on WebMD in regards to HPV: http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/hpv-genital-warts/hpv-treatment-is-there-hpv-cure

HPV is actually very common among many people and they won't even know it because they show no signs of it.

oilicecr responded:
Your life isn't over, just make sure you use protection and take care of yourself. When you see the genital warts just go to your doctor to get some ointment cream to apply and they will be gone sooner then you think. Don't be discouraged as there are far worst STD's out there that you should be concerned about getting.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.