Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes after surgery, right next to and on incision?
An_251903 posted:
I first want to say thank you to everyone, for sharing. Nothing feels better than having someone to talk to. Reading everyone's comments has taught me a lot about the types of herpes, what to expect, how so many of us have it and lead perfectly normal lives. Thank you so much for offering your experiences; reading them has offered me much support and peace of mind.

I had a vulvar extraction of a perennial mass between the anal and vaginal cavity on February first. It has not felt right since the surgery, with the most pain happening after going number two (tee hee). The pain and discomfort has been off and on, the incision site will feel better, then feel worse. I figured it was just taking a long while to heal, since the area it was in has such tight skin. I kept telling myself it would get better and would heal. After a lot of activity it would worsen, but then go away in a few days.

I just went to the doctor last week because it still has gone back and forth from better to worse. When she examined me she said it looked like herpes.

I did not expect to hear this at all, was shocked and confused. I figured it had to be an infection or it just hasn't healed. Since then I have been researching symptoms and individual experiences. This has led to me looking at past signs: a gland in my neck became painfully swollen at the end of March/beginning of April. I had a cold or severe allergies prior to this, so assumed nothing. Then a week later I noticed a white pimple right next to the incision. It popped and was gone without a mark the next day. I got another one maybe a week or so later. I thought maybe it was just infection from the cyst working its way out?

I have been uncomfortable since the surgery, and at times have feared going number 2 because of having to wipe afterwards. Wiping is what really angers it.

My doctor notices a small open sore, and that is why she thinks its herpes. When she scraped it, it really didn't hurt. The next day however, so much pain and puss for the next couple of days. I have had a few more bumps but they have gone as quick as they have come. There is no redness either.

The most pain and pimples have happened since the scraping. Is that normal for the test to cause more? I know I will hear results in the near future, I'd just love to know now from people with experience if this sounds in line with herpes. Also, the symptoms have been here since the surgery. The pimples have happened since the beginning of April, and I just had a new one grow, but not pop yesterday. It just shrank into nothing. Infection or herpes? Can a herpes outbreak produce new pimples every few days or weeks for long periods of time?

Again, thank you so much for being open in communicating your experiences!! Isn't the Internet the best?!

Much love to all of you!!

abe648 responded:
Herpes does not usually stay around for that long unless it is the initial ob. Get a type specific IgG blood test for HSV 1 & 2. Your doc should have at least tested you when they thought it was herpes. The Doc should have taken a swab of the area and cultured and typed it to see if it was herpes when they looked at it.

Herpes usually builds up a fluid type of blister and then in a few days it will break and drain and heal.

The best thing you can do is go and get tested and to back to the Doc and get them to do more work to figure out what is gong on especially if it is not getting better and comes and goes.

Post your numeric IgG blood test on here someone can help you figure out your status as well.

God Bless you to help you find the answers to your concerns
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

TrueBlue0205 replied to abe648's response:
Thank you for your reply!!

Tomorrow will be two weeks since I had the swab and blood test done. I have not get heard back from the doctor regarding results.

The past two Sundays I have had another pimple pop up, and go away within a few hours. The open sores seem like they are still there, but are very small and not really red or noticeable at all.

They did hurt until they popped or went away. There were no clusters of blisters or any redness around the area.

Does this sound like symptoms of genital herpes? I am going to call the doctor tomorrow to see if the results are in yet, just anxious to know.

Thank you again for your help!!

abe648 replied to TrueBlue0205's response:
Herpes usually are water filled blisters that take a few days to fill and then break and the watery substance drains and they heal. This takes anywhere from 3-7 days and then they usually go away for a while and then and come back in a few months or so.

These do not sound like herpes from what you describe but we will wait till the Doc gives you the results

Ask for a copy of the numeric test results and the swab results. Post the numeric resultss here so someone can help you confirm where you stand.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.