Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV2 Lab values.
An_251950 posted:
I had an encounter 25 days prior to taking labs. The encounter included performance of oral, and finger to vaginal penetration. Finger may have had abrasion. No cold or genital sores ever presented although, I did have a rash on my wrist 5 days prior to getting labs drawn. The rash was itchy but did not blister, though it may have had some very small vesicles. No ulceration ever occurred. The day AFTER I had my labs drawn I did have a mild sore throat (ongoing for 2 days now).

The labs returned NEGATIVE:
HSV1 <.10
HSV2 =.13

I understand that 25 days is bit early to test, however since I was "somewhat symptomatic" I figured it may test + if a real infection.

So my question, how much confidence can I take in these labs given the timeline and symptoms?

It should be noted that my doctor said he did not suspect an STD causing my symptoms.

Secondly, should I read anything into HSV2 being more elevated than HSV1?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
CL

abe648 responded:
I would like to say that I am not a medical professional but have learned a lot about herpes over the years from those who are more knowledgeable than me.

If the figures you posted are an IgG blood test values then your values are definatly negative and a very low negative value.

All you know for now is that you do not have HSV 1 or 2. At this point if you had herpes then I think that you should have seen at least a low positive values but each person is different. I think you should go with your Doc's position that you do not have herpes at this point and I would recommend not have any sexual intercourse and till you get the new Type specific IgG blood testing or HSV 1 & 2 in 2 months from now. At that point you will know more where you stant.

Do not read anything into HsV 1 or HSV 2 being higher or lower from this initial testing.

What ever symptoms you had more than likely may have come from guilt of being intimate with someone and now worrying if you got anything from this encounter.

So in future you may want to think about getting tested before you become intimate with a new partner. And that should be both of you going to get tested for all STI's including HSV 1 & 2. That way you know what each of you has before you become intimate.

God Bless you.

Read more about herpes in the info in my signature line below.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.