Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HPV + HPV = Cancer?
An_251982 posted:
Hi, I hope I am posting this int he right spot. New to this site not familiar with it yet. I am a carrier of HPV (warts) and this last girl I was with never told me she was a carrier as well. Now in the beginning we always had protected but but one night she said it was ok and we started having unprotected sex. I know, stupid, but I figure that she may have had the shots to prevent it and never told me or some other reason. We go into a little fight later on stopped talking then started talking again recently, like this was a period of 4 months or so of not talking. She told me that she had cervical cancer and that it was HPV related. I felt so bad. Still do. But we started talking about getting back together and she told me that she had HPV either from her ex before me or from someone else before. Had I known I wouldve done more research. But we think the my strand of HPV and hers may have caused her cells to go abnormal and get cervical cancer. Im just wondering if that is possible, and whats the risk of it happening again if we did use protection. I dont want to be anymore of a danger to her health than what I already may have caused. Im also thinking that maybe since shes had it before I met her, that maybe the cancer finally decided to pop up.

georgiagail responded:
No,the "mixture" of two folks with HPV did not cause her cervical cancer.

Gail

An_251982 replied to georgiagail's response:
ok then that leads me to my next question. Could it just be like her body type or something? When I found out I had it and back dated from the person I got it from, I contacted everyone I've been with and they said everything was fine. This is the first girl that has had any problems.

elle0317 replied to An_251982's response:
HPV is the most common STD out there, if someone is sexually active with more than one person, they risk contracting HPV. HPV that causes cervical cell changes, which can possibly lead to cancer, usually takes years to develop. In other words, her HPV is likely from a previous partner. Just because she's the only girl who's had problems doesn't mean the others don't have it as well. Very common for this STD to show no obvious symptoms in both sexes.

ASPROSE replied to elle0317's response:
um thats not true. they say it is from partners but i had that when i was 13 yrs old i didnt start haveing sex till i was 19. HPV runs in our fam. all the females have it. and it does lead to cancer. in 2001 i found out i had the cancer cells while i was pregnat with my son (6mo). they said there was nothing i could do.because i would end up haveing a miscarriage if they removed them. so i didnt. but by the time i had my son they were gone. but in 2002 they came back i had part of my cervix removed. then in 2006 it came back. along with ovarian cancer. and uteran cancer. and i ended up have endometriosous. and fibromiosous. (sorry of the spelling). needless to say i was only 31. and had a complete hysterectomy.

cloudyday replied to ASPROSE's response:
sooo... is it a good chance it could be because of me? I mean these girls I was talking about in the past were YEARS ago because when I found out i had it, my sex life died cuz I didnt want to like infect anyone and was embarassed. this is the first person to ever have such a problem in the shortest time ive been with not too mention the only person ive been with that also has hpv which I found out after her surgery.

georgiagail replied to cloudyday's response:
No, you didn't cause her to have cancer (if she even has cancer; it's not unusual that folks get a bit confused about all of this, often mistaking the term dysplasia for cancer).

Gail

cloudyday replied to georgiagail's response:
funny you mention that, she said her dr a long time ago said she had a minor case of dysplasia but it cured itself over time. this time when she went in for a checkup, the dr said it was a high strand and causes her cells to become abnormal or something which is turning into or turned into cervical cancer and had to get the surgery.

cloudyday replied to georgiagail's response:
now i know condoms are not totally protected, but if say, theres more exposure to her (if we decide to keep relations going) from me would that possibly have an effect on her that can cause her cells or anything to breakdown or mutate or whatever and cuz the cancer to show up again? i apologize if all my questions seem to have the same answer. im just looking around at all angles as i could to this.

ASPROSE replied to cloudyday's response:
no i dont think so. because as much as they say that it is a STD . it is not. i wast not even having sex when i found out i had it. back in the early 80's. like i said i didnt start having sex till the mid 90's and to me it did not affect my sex life. i didnt know much about it and the drs. were not too concerned either back then. but i think that if we had done more about it. or knew more about it. i think that it could have saved me the trouble of ending up having a complete hysterectomy in my 30's

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.