Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

help please
An_252028 posted:
hello im a 26 yr old male and i have been having a problem for a couple months now. My glands in my neck have been swollen for about 2 months now. i have constant headaches that vary in pain depending on the day. my nose runs alot and my nodes in my legs tend to swell from time to time and i have a loss in appetite. everytime i get on the computer it scares the hell outta me becuz every site says HIV. I have had sex with 1 girl and i used a condom. i kno u can still get it even when using a condom but ur chances are slimmer. also i got oral sex from her like 4 times unprotected. i went and got tested for it and it came back negative but they told me to come back to do a recheck because of the times and false negatives. im still waiting for that appointment. im going to see the doctor this friday to get some blood test done. I am just extremely scared and stressed out about this and . i have been drinking alot more basically every night now because it feels like its the only thing that helps. any kind of feedback or anything will help greatly. thank you for taking time to read this and respond.

georgiagail responded:
Whoa there fella; you've got a few misconceptions going on.

Assuming the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear, you would be FULLY protected against HIV (assuming your partner was even HIV positive). The virus cannot cross an intact latex barrier.

In regards to the oral sex....this carries an EXTREMELY (and I do mean extremely) low risk of HIV transmission. Think along the lines of an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Finally, your symptoms of runny nose, headaches, loss of appetite and swollen legs have NOTHING to do with early onset HIV. The symptoms of early onset HIV (called ARS) occur 2 to 6 weeks after transmission, cause flu like symptoms that last just 2 weeks, not 2 months. Whatever is causing these symptoms has absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

I suspect that at least some of your symptoms (headaches, swelling and loss of appetite) are due more to your heavy drinking and stress than anything else.

Take a second screening test at the 3 month mark (because I suspect you won't believe what I've written here) and come back and let us know your test result.

Gail

MeMyselfandI33 replied to georgiagail's response:
That is what i have been thinking in the back of my head and i do believe u.The times are right for the symptoms to be setting in but ya that would be from oral sex. I recently had just brokeup with my ex after 5 year which put alot of stress on me as well and i have some family problems right now. I dont get how stress and drinking can make nodes swell in diff places of your body however. I sometimes think maybe i didnt wear the condom correctly also. I really appreciate ur response and your time thank you gail

MeMyselfandI33 replied to georgiagail's response:
That is what i have been thinking in the back of my mind and i do believe you. I have recently broke up with my ex of 5 yrs and have some family problems that have been causing alot of stress and depression. I just dont see how that can cause swollen glands and nodes though. The timings would add up correctly for the symptoms but then again it would be from oral. After everything i found out she slept with this needle using drug addict that is in and out of jail so that has been worrying me alot also. Thank you for your response and time gail i really appreciate it.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.