Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Starting to date a host of hsv.
An_252238 posted:
I have begun dating a man who is a host of hsv1&2. But he is asymptematic. We have been intimate once and were protected. But I would like to kbow that I can have a safe yet sensual. I would like to continue our intimacy but of course I would like to stay safe. What should I know or what measures should I take to keep myself safe? And is oral sex possible at all?

abe648 responded:
So from what I am hearing is that your new friend has been tested for and is postive for HSV 1 & 2 but does not get any out breaks at all. [blockquote>

If you click on the Tiger you will see the rate of transmision of Male to Female but it would be hard to decide when he is shedding as he does not even get an outbreak if I read your post correctly.

From all my time on this board I have not really come up against this before but I think there is one basic thing you can do to avoid getting HSV 2 yourself. The best thing you can do is make sure that when you have sex make sure that you are well lubricated and if for some reason in your life you personally hit a dry spell down yonderr then make sure you have some lube to make sure things are well lubed.

The reason for this is that when you have sex there is heat and friction. The drier you are down yonder the greater the heat and fricction and the easier it is to transmit the virus. You cannot control the heat in having sex but you can control the friction by being well lubed when you have sex. The greater the friction the greater the risk of possible tranmission.

That being said you have to decide if you are prepared to take on the risk of getting HSV 2 or not. The risk most likely is low but there is no real way of knowinf for sure.

The good news is that therre are many many people who are in what is called "discordanant couples which is were one person has HSV 2. And do not take any steps other than a suppreessive therapy and avoid sex when there is an ob. But this is difficult if he does not have ob's at present.

I would urge you to read the info in my signature line below and ask more questions if you have them and we will help you however we can.

God Bless you as you decide what to do. [/blockquote>
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
You should also get a "type specific IgG blood test for
HSV 1 & 2 to see if you may be in the same boat as your new friend. You could have it and not know it so do get tested.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.