Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Questions about genital herpes HSV-1
anonymous312 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with genital herpes HSV-1 (typically oral herpes) and have some questions. I'm almost certain I know who gave it to me... I have done some research on the subject and here is where I am confused. Since I have HSV-1 and not HSV-2, that means I was it was transmitted to me by someone giving me oral sex that had HSV-1 orally (whether active or not) according to my research. My question is, is it possible that this person might have ALSO had HSV-1 genitally and passed the same virus to me through intercourse, giving me HSV-1 genital herpes? Or would that turn into HSV-2 (genital to genital contact according to what I have read.) I don't remember him giving me oral sex, hence where my confusion comes in.

Another question I have is... if my body contains the HSV-1 antibodies, even if I have only shown signs genitally, does that mean I am more likely to get oral herpes as well? I have never had a cold sore on my lips. I have had mouth ulcers YEARS and years ago, but everyone does at some point. I never get cold sores or canker sores or anything like that. Now that I have this virus, even though it's genital herpes, can I get oral herpes too? Do I have to be careful about giving oral sex to a partner?

Since my diagnosis, I have told the partner I was currently seeing and he has accepted me, even though we aren't exclusive or officially dating (in the works ) I couldn't have asked for a better first experience with telling someone "the news". Even if I don't end up with this person, I know that there is hope I will be loved and accepted, which is what I feared and I'm sure everyone fears when they first hear this news. I hope this gives someone else hope. But if anyone has answers to these questions, please let me know. I'm trying to inform myself the best way I can. Thanks guys!!!

abe648 responded:
HSV 1 is HSV 1 no matter where it is located oarrly or genitally. It does not change because it is in the genital area it is still the HSv 1 virus it just happens to be in the genital areaa. You can contact HSV1 genitally by either oral sex or gential to genital contact and it will still be HSV 1 genitally. The good news is that HSV 1 does not have as many ob's as HSV 2 So on average you will have the intial ob and then on average one more ob the first year and then on average one ob every other year. Some people do not get any more out breaks. Go down a bit on the posts to a person who asked about having sex in a hot tub and she does not has HSV 1 genitally but does not get ob's. The other thing you need to know is that even thought you have HSV 1 you can still contact HSV 2 genitally. So if you decide to change partners and start going with a new parthner both of you should go and get tested for all STD'S before you become sexually active so as to know what each of you does or does not have. God Bleess you and ask any more questions you may have so we can help you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.