Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

herpes questions
jackfrost27 posted:
.If i have hsv 1 would that have any impact on antibody development for hsv 2?[br>........Do you have any idea why some people take longer to develop antibodies and why is it said that you should wait 4 months to test when you might no in 2 months?[br>........Do you no how likely it is to spread it with an open and active lesion or sore?

georgiagail responded:
Having HSV1 would have no impact on antibody development of HSV2.

It is not that some people might take longer to develop antibodies (although, if ones immune system has been damaged through other medical issues such as chemotherapy or organ transplant this might be the case) but that 3 months (not 4) is the recommended time period for test with current test methods.

Gail

jackfrost27 replied to georgiagail's response:
Oh ok, from everything i read made it seem like it was people that didnt develop antibodies fast enough. so i got tested at 7 to 8 weeks and my doctor told me that the test i took was very accurate (herpes select igg) and that she was sure i didnt have it, would you agree that this test is trust worthy at that time?

georgiagail replied to jackfrost27's response:
The recommendation is 3 month (12 week) testing. It would, however, be unusual that someone would test non-reactive (i.e., negative) at 7-8 weeks and reactive at 12.

There is nothing wrong with the actual test. The issue is that enough time must pass where the immune system can produce enough antibodies to be picked up by current testing methods.

Gail

ok so what ur saying is most people would test positive by 7 or 8 weeks or earlier unless they have another issue with there body that would prolong the development of antibodies such as some type of medical issue that has been done to the person for anther reason?.........And the recommendation is really just for companies that make the test?.........And u spoke of chemotherapy which refers to cancer, so if a person has another disease would that prolong the development?.......What about symptoms, i no that the symptoms have a wide range of issues they could be linked to but why doesnt everyone show symptoms when they are first exposed to the virus?

georgiagail replied to jackfrost27's response:
No, the recommendation in terms of times to test does not come from the companies that make the medical products; it comes from medical professionals.

Remember that screening for viral based STD's such as HSV (and HIV as well as hepatitis) check for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place. If the immune system has been damaged by other serious medical issues (such as someone who has undergone chemotherapy or someone who has undergone an organ transplant and is now on immune suppressing medication) it may take the immune system longer to develop those antibodies.

Thus, if someone tests too early they may get a "false negative" test result. They are actually infected but there are not yet enough antibodies present to be picked up by the test.

If you remain concerned, get a second test at the 12 week mark.

Gail

TEST RESULTS
HSV 1 - 5.00
HSV 2 - .21

I have never had an out break that looks like herpes pic u might see on line, the most i have had was the itching and tingling a day maybe 2 before and than a hard bump that last a day or 2 that itches and tingles, i have been with the same girl for 13 years and she has never had this happen, and to be honest before all this happened i didnt know it was herpes, i just thought it happened when i got a cold or from licking my lips to much!..............

SO MY MESSAGE TO PEOPLE IS TO GO GET TESTED FOR HSV 1 AND 2 JUST BECAUSE, EVEN IF U HAVE KNOW SYMPTOMS OR NEVER HAD ANY OR THINK U MIGHT HAVE HAD THEM OR IF U THINK U HAVE THEM.......JUST DO IT, NO UR STATUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helpful Tips

how do you feel towards the ONE WHO GAVE YOU HERPES
Did you know that 90% of people living with Herpes, DON'T KNOW THEY HAVE IT . Thats a big number. So you just found out you have Herpes, ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 47 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.