Stds from food
An_252569 posted:
Hello I was getting a drink and the girl preparing it accidentally dipped the tip of her finger in. I only drank a little bit but can I possibly get a std? Also my friend was playing with me by trying to put her Chapstick on my lip. I don't think it got on my lip but I have anxiety and keep thinking it probably did and what if I didn't feel it or remember it. Her lips look fine and I didn't see anything. But what if she did have herpes can I get it? I'm not sexually active and don't want to catch anything from something I didn't do. If I was to get oral herpes will I ever be able to kiss anybody? I wouldn't want to put others at risk.

georgiagail responded:
No, one does not get an STD from food or sharing of Chapstick.

Most adults carry the HSV-1 virus orally and manage to kiss others just fine.

Gail

An_252569 replied to georgiagail's response:
I've been reading that herpes spreads from chapstick. Is the HSV-1 virus common? Also, her boyfirend had this red spot in the middle of his top lip I'm not sure if he just ripped his skin or if it was a cold sore. I don't know if she placed the chapstick on his lips before she tried to do it on me. I'm just worried.

georgiagail replied to An_252569's response:
Since your first post states the Chapstick didn't touch your lips, there is no risk in the first place.

And yes, the HSV-1 virus is extremely common. Again, most of us carry this.

Gail

dan781 replied to An_252569's response:
pretty much everyone in the world gets cold sores its not a big deal