Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Stds from food
An_252569 posted:
Hello I was getting a drink and the girl preparing it accidentally dipped the tip of her finger in. I only drank a little bit but can I possibly get a std? Also my friend was playing with me by trying to put her Chapstick on my lip. I don't think it got on my lip but I have anxiety and keep thinking it probably did and what if I didn't feel it or remember it. Her lips look fine and I didn't see anything. But what if she did have herpes can I get it? I'm not sexually active and don't want to catch anything from something I didn't do. If I was to get oral herpes will I ever be able to kiss anybody? I wouldn't want to put others at risk.

georgiagail responded:
No, one does not get an STD from food or sharing of Chapstick.

Most adults carry the HSV-1 virus orally and manage to kiss others just fine.

Gail

An_252569 replied to georgiagail's response:
I've been reading that herpes spreads from chapstick. Is the HSV-1 virus common? Also, her boyfirend had this red spot in the middle of his top lip I'm not sure if he just ripped his skin or if it was a cold sore. I don't know if she placed the chapstick on his lips before she tried to do it on me. I'm just worried.

georgiagail replied to An_252569's response:
Since your first post states the Chapstick didn't touch your lips, there is no risk in the first place.

And yes, the HSV-1 virus is extremely common. Again, most of us carry this.

Gail

dan781 replied to An_252569's response:
pretty much everyone in the world gets cold sores its not a big deal

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.