Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

How long does herpes live on fingers/hand?
Anon_163948 posted:
Hi all -
I have genital herpes and am a mom to an infant. I've been extremely diligent and careful not to spread the virus to my baby, but I recently had a sinking feeling. I'm wondering, if for example, I'm having an outbreak and while going to the bathroom, I touch the lesion. I wash my hands afterwards. About 5 minutes or so after that, I change my baby's diaper and put diaper cream on. What are the chances that the one hand wash wasn't enough? How long does the virus last on a finger or hand? How many washes are sufficient? How much time between touching the lesion and touching someone else before the virus is killed?
I'm worried because I usually wash my hands two or three times (really well) after going to the bathroom and this time, I don't think I did. I'm pretty sure I only gave them a quick wash. I'm really scared that I've passed it on to my baby and I don't think I could forgive myself.
Thank you for any information that you have.

georgiagail responded:
The chances of you passing this on your child after going to the bathroom and washing your hands are zero. Please stop worrying about this.

Gail

abe648 responded:
I agree with Gail on this. If you use soap and water and wash your hands there is no risk to your baby. Soap and Water kills the virus from what I have learned on this site after being on her for almost 7 years.

Take a DEEP BREATHE and hold it in as long as you can and EXHALE and RELAX.

God Bless you
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

CM400 responded:
Try not to worry about this. If you read other posts most of the "experts" say it takes vigorous touching to spread it.

Maybe invest in some hand sanitizer to quell your worries in the meantime?

nan654 replied to CM400's response:
Interesting about the vigorous touching. I'm not sure that I knew that (or maybe I did and have forgotten). There are so many things written about how very super duper extremely contagious the virus is - and I do believe that it is in the right circumstances. It's easy to get wrapped up (at least for me) in all of that and then start to get nervous about every little thing. So thanks everyone for the replies and the reassurance. Appreciate it.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.