Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Could itchy red spots on genitals after sex be caused by allergies?
An_252653 posted:
Two nights ago I had intercourse with a pretty lady, and stupidly didn't use protection. I'm very certain that neither of us have any STDs, but the next day I noticed that I have itchy red spots around my genital area (in my pubic hair and on the base of my penis). This has happened once before, and I freaked out just like I'm doing now, but my doctor gave it a looksie and said not to worry. The only thing I can connect between the two incidents is that both women had cats, which I'm deathly allergic to. I've heard the package-area can be pretty sensitive to rashes and such, but I found it weird that I'm not experiencing any allergic symptoms on the rest of my body. Could that be it?

Take the Poll

Can cats make your weiner itch?
  • Yes
  • No
  • You're as good as dead
vote
View Poll Results

dadofeagans responded:
Those cats are all over the furniture. If your junk was hanging, wet and raw on the furniture, you were at risk. Not to mention all the little critters that could be on those cats. Pussy will get you everytime.

An_252723 responded:
NO<NO

lmsc1957 responded:
Cats have dander, even if they are hairless. Dander in sort of like our skin cells...and we "shed" those daily.

What most people are allergic to in cats IS the dander. So yes, if the cat is permitted on the bed/sheets/wherever you have skin of any kind exposed, I feel certain a rash is imminent. In your case, I would say the moisture actually aids the dander getting in good contact with your skin. AND, the friction to that area of your body probably worsened it. AND your new lady might have dander on her hands, face, etc.

People allergic to cats, as you know, get rashes and itchy eyes, etc. Those rashes are usually on the same type of skin as you have at the base of your penis...hairy, same "properties" if you think about it. Which makes sense as to why you have no rash on your penis --, different skin texture/surface.

And, I expect you've had unprotected sex with more than these 2 women. If you've never had rashes, and you've had unprotected sex with others who didn't have cats, I would say it's your allergy to cats that is the issue. I don't think it is a reaction to their bodily fluids, etc.

AND your doc should have said something beyond "don't worry about it". Be your own advocate...tell him about the allergy or remind him, and he might say, "it's your allergies". No more worries for you.

if you do a quick search on pet dander, I'm sure you'll see that your lady friend can take steps to ensure this doesn't happen again, OR, go to your place!

HTH!! I'm a cat lover...good thing there are no allergies in my home! I might get rid of the human

An_252735 responded:
This topic will be brought into discussion in a Human Sexuality undergrad course in the next semester, to be sure !

Without all of the endless possibilities of humor with the references to "pussy" cats from this anecdote (though there will be some because it is irresistable), the commentaries about pet dander & human allergies are also useful realizations for many...

But also for consideration is the fact that other species of mammals have their own STDs (noting that this article is in the WedMD STD community forum).
And if there can be (as has been established) an SIV (Simean Immuno-deficiency Virus) which mutates to HIV, according to medical experts, then there can perhaps there is very likely a feline immune deficiency virus (FIV) capable of mutating to a form which becomes a zoonose, i.e., a disease capable of being transmitted from animal to humankind & quite adversely affecting our immune systems...
Another reason to have a pet...!
Reading a few the "riot act" on pets in the next semester...
A Health Education Professor
PS - Pets have been known to drink water right from the toilet bowl, and lick their own private parts...something to keep in mind next time "Shmoopy" is asked for a kiss, and they start to lick face & lips...(read as: how to tax your immune system in one easy step !)

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.