Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

herpes and the military
cjg6308 posted:
I have genital herpes and I have read that if you have suppressive therapy you can be disqualified.I took this route to minimize my chances of having more outbreaks , but I don't have to do it I can take them only when I have an outbreak if need be.Has anyone else ever dealt with this?

elle0317 responded:
Having herpes and being on suppresive therapy should have no bearing on your employment in the military. Considering 1 in 5 men have genital herpes, I'm pretty sure you are not the only one enlisted to have herpes or be on suppressive medicine.

An_252668 responded:
At one point in time contracting STD's was punishable under the UCMJ (obviously-after you were already enlisted/commissioned).

Thankfully, the military (I can only vouch for the USAF) has changed it's philosophy on the subject. They now offer treatment for STD's without legal repercussions.

Honestly,I think you are okay... for entry and honesty is probably the best approach. However, if you find out it is a strike against you then wait until you're in to deal with this. I'm not advocating bending the rules (especially right of the bat) as the military isn't understanding of that... so be careful if you go that route.

I hope this helps and good luck.

cjg6308 replied to elle0317's response:
Thank you so much for responding.

cjg6308 replied to An_252668's response:
That's the branch I'm trying to enlist in and I already told them about it and the doctor at meps just wants medical documentation on it.Thanks for responding!

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.