Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

unprotected sex and terrified
An_252738 posted:
about a week ago i had unprotected sex with a girl i met who was working at a restaurent. we had sex twice and she said she has a clean bill of health. about two days later i developed a sore throat with spots on the back of my throat. I went to a doctor and im waiting for results. they prescribed Doxycycline as a precaution. my sore throat subsided a day after starting the meds but i still have spots on my throat. today i had chills with no fever and needed to "use the bathroom" alot, like 8 times.
I am very worried and my anxiety level is very high so i dont know if its related to that or not. im so scared and wish i could go back in time. .

what are my chances at having contracted an std or even HIV!!! ??? OMG!

An_252741 responded:
The body does have a way of reacting when it contracts an infection or virus. I doubt you could have contracted HIV but it'll be good to wait for your results and see. Next time don't have unprotected sex with someone you've just met, especially one who says they have a 'clean bill of health'.

georgiagail responded:
In terms of HIV....the first stage of HIV begins two to six weeks after transmission, not two days later.

The symptoms are described as "flu like" in nature, not spots in the throat and urinating 8 times a day.

In addition, testing needs to be done 3 months after a potential exposure. Testing done one week after a potential exposure will not provide you with any useful information regarding this particular STD.

The ESTIMATED risk of HIV from unprotected insertive (that's you) penile vaginal intercourse is 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.