Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

chlamydia
An_252752 posted:
How long can you have it? My boyfriend cheated on me at the end of January beginning of Feb this year I was just told last week I have chlamydia he swears he hasn't cheated on me since Jan or Feb I had my yearly exam at the end of March could he have given it to me back then and it didn't show up on my yearly or could it be possible I just didn't get infected in till now?

georgiagail responded:
Unless your yearly exam specifically includes testing for this STD (and a pap smear would NOT test for it), you would be unaware when you did become infected with Chlamydia.

It's often called "the silent STD" for it's lack of symptoms in many who are infected with this popular STD.

Gail

An_252350 responded:
Chlamydia is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the U.S. This infection is easily spread because it often causes no symptoms and may be unknowingly passed to sexual partners. In fact, about 75% of infections in women and 50% in men are without symptoms.

Chlamydia symptoms in women

Abnormal vaginal discharge that may have an odor
Bleeding between periods
Painful periods
Abdominal pain with fever
Pain when having sex
Itching or burning in or around the vagina
Pain when urinating

Chlamydia symptoms in men

Small amounts of clear or cloudy discharge from the tip of the penis
Painful urination
Burning and itching around the opening of the penis
Pain and swelling around the testicles

If you do not get treated for chlamydia, you run the risk of several health problems.

For women. If left untreated, chlamydia infection can cause pelvic inflammatory disease which can lead to damage of the fallopian tubes (the tubes connecting the ovaries to the uterus) or even cause infertility (the inability to have children). Untreated chlamydia infection could also increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy (when the fertilized egg implants and develops outside the uterus.) Furthermore, chlamydia may cause premature births (giving birth too early) and the infection can be passed along from the mother to her child during childbirth, causing an eye infection, blindness, or pneumonia in the newborn.
For men. Chlamydia can cause a condition called nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) -- an infection of the urethra (the tube by which men and women pass urine), epididymitis -- an infection of the epididymis (the tube that carries sperm away from the testes), or proctitis -- an inflammation of the rectum.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.