Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HPV 16
dan781 posted:
So I had sex with a girl who has HPV 16.. I know HPV is very common (around 97% of people will get it in their life) but most people dont know they are carrying it. Im wondering, will I "carry" this the rest of my life even if I never get infected with it? Or will it all just go away 100% on its own?

An_252668 responded:
Good question. I'm not a medical expert, but have done some internet-based research on the subject, so take this reply with a grain of salt.

First, please follow up with a doctor as the threat of cancer from this particular strain of HPV is higher than others.

Here's my two cents on your question... most HPV infections clear up on there own within 1-2 years from what I've read. Unfortunately, as you probably already know this is particularly bad strain of HPV in terms of cancer risk (HPV 16).

As described in the oral cancer foundation's website- the contraction of this virus can change cell formation similarly to tobacco use and it's cancer risk implications (penile, throat and other). Again- I'm not an expert, but this is what I gathered from various articles on there website.

This is just speculation so please follow up with a trained professional... but from what I understand even if you clear the virus it may cause some cellular mutations much later in life similar to exposure to tobacco.

I too think I may of been exposed to a "high risk" form of HPV because my ex-girlfriend was diagnosed with HPV induced Cancer. Unfortunately, there is no definitive way to determine the presence of the virus in men (that I'm aware of) with the exception of skin lesion biopsies (tumors/lesions in the case of HPV 16 and genital/oral warts/other lesions in other strains of HPV).

Throat cancer and other genital area cancers are sometimes caused by this strain of HPV. Generally, women are at a greater risk of developing HPV induced cancer from what I've read, but it can happen in men too.

Here's a website that I have found useful:

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/hpv/hpv-explanation.html

Also, I believe actor Michael Douglas's throat cancer was reported as HPV induced.

I hope this isn't too alarming- I'm just trying to get some information that I've found out there. Again, please follow up with a doctor.

Good luck.

Regards,
K

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.