Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Genital ulcers in a new region: Prior HSV-1 carrier, could I have contracted HSV-2?
HealthyandSafe posted:
Hello everyone,
[br>I am very concerned. [br>I contracted HSV-1 genital from receiving oral sex from a partner who was shedding at the time in 2004. I am female. [br>I experienced outbreaks every 2-3 months for the first year or so, and then nothing for 8 years. I experienced some stress this past year and had a very mild outbreak in April. It cleared after a few days and taking Valacyclovir 400mg 2x/day for 5 days. [br>[br>Here is why I am concerned: [br>A few days ago, I noticed a cut on my perineum. Nevertheless, I had a partner finger me. About 72 hours later, I developed 2 ulcers on the same region. Could I have contracted HSV-2? I never had my HSV-1 genital in this region before. I know it was not wise to do this act given the cut. [br>[br>I did a swab at the medical center today. Please let me know your thoughts. [br>[br>Thank you.

abe648 responded:
The first set of ob's in 2004 sounds more like a HSV 2 ob as most HSV 1 does not have that many ob's the first year. On average if you get HSV 1 genitally you will have the intial ob and one mroe ob the first year and then on average one more ob every other yeear buut some people with not get any more ob's. So I would recommend that you get a "type specific IgG blood test for HSV 2 now and ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them in this post so someone can confirm your HSV 2 status.

How long has it been since soemeone fingered you and you are now having problems? i week 1month or what ever how long was it?
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
The first set of ob's in 2004 sounds more like a HSV 2 ob as most HSV 1 does not have that many ob's the first year. On average if you get HSV 1 genitally you will have the intial ob and one mroe ob the first year and then on average one more ob every other yeear buut some people with not get any more ob's. So I would recommend that you get a "type specific IgG blood test for HSV 2 now and ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them in this post so someone can confirm your HSV 2 status.

How long has it been since soemeone fingered you and you are now having problems? i week 1month or what ever how long was it?
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

HealthyandSafe replied to abe648's response:
I never updated - the culture indicated positive for HSV-1 again.
I've also, mysteriously been getting, what I believe are recurrences about once a month. I'm going to post about this in another thread because it seems strange to me.

So this issue is now resolved.

Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.