Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Long time HSV2er
An_252811 posted:
I've had genital herpes since early 90's - it has largely been dormant & I know about shedding. Back then I didn't know about 1vs2 - I just didn't know what I didn't know & Dr. didn't advise. No relationships in 10yrs. so it really went on the back burner. I was retested this week and received <0.91 on HSV1 and 5.23 on HSV2. HSV2 was not a surprise but I didn't know the figures. Question: I had a few occurrences w/cold sores about 10yrs ago - presume I got them from oral sex w/ex-husband. None since. I understand HSV2 doesn't normally travel outside it's zone but can it cause cold sores? I'm not sure from the HSV1 result if I have it or not. Should I be worried about shedding HSV2 via kissing and performing oral sex? Or do I have the double whammy 1 and 2?

abe648 responded:
So the figures you give of <0.91 on HSV1 and 5.23 on HSV2 indicate that you are netative for HSV 1 and postive for HSV 2.

Have you ever had ob's in the genital area? If not then perhaps your ob's on the lip may be HSV 2. HSV 2 does not like the oral area but approx 3% of people can contract it in the oral area. It apparentlly does not have a lot of ob's. On average it will have the initial ob and then not a lot of ob's after that but there could be some. The best way to figure out if you have HSV 2 orally is the next time you get an ob is to go and get it swabbed/culttured/typed within 48 hours for best results from when you first notice it. That way you will know if you have HSV 2 in the oral area. That is the only way to confirm what type of ob your are getting in the roral area.

You could possibley have it in both areas although I think that would be quite rare.

Do you have a new partner? if so then get your new partern tested for all STI'S and make sure that they test the partner for HSV 1 & 2 so you know your partners status an all STI'S. It is not only what you have but what your partner could have that should also concern you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

ysophiey replied to abe648's response:
Thank you. Agree on STI testing for all concerned. Yes, my obs are in the genital area actually more beside the anal area. I've recently read and reread Terri's book. I hear conflicting opinions on whether I can pass HSV2 performing oral sex. I don't get cold sores any more so hard to get swabbed to know for sure. Lately I have symptoms of numbness on the tongue - not sure if that is linked - but no obs.

abe648 replied to ysophiey's response:
You do not have HSV 1 so it is possible thatt you could havve HSV 2 orally as well as genitally. Just a thought. HSV 2 orally can have very few ob's as it is a bit like HsV 1 genitally which does not have a lot of obs genitally. I think that some people do not even have obs with HSV 2 which from what I recall can happn wtth HSV 1 genitally as well.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

findingsupport101 responded:
hi I read your post and with knowing that you have had herpes for quiet some time .. I was wondering if you have advice on depression .. I have had herpes for 4 years and just recently I infected my now ex boyfriend , and im having trouble coping . im 24 and I feel like this is too much for me to handle at times . if you have some words if wisdom I would be so appreciative , thank you

abe648 replied to findingsupport101's response:
Had you told your bf that you had genital herpes? If so then he is a willing participant that knew the risk of getting GH. Do not blame yourself. We all come into relationships with bagggage and if he knew that you had GH then he assumed the risk of getting it. This is just part of life. If he is now giving you a tough time because he has GH then do not let this bother you. All you can do is accept that he got and he knew full well that he might get it. Are you two still together? If he is not making a big deal of this then move on and live life to the full. If this is still bothering you then get some proffessional help dealing with this. Take control of your life and get the help you need to move forward in this part of your life. If it will help ask your bf to go with you to get help.

This is just a pesky skin virus that we now have the meds to keep it under control.

God Bless you as you move forward with your life. We are always here to help you in what ever we can.

An_252811 replied to findingsupport101's response:
Hi, I understand the feelings you are feeling and I can tell you that as time goes on and with a healthy positive attitude you can overcome your feelings of depression. I just read a book called Making Peace with Herpes by Christopher Scipio. It's one of the best books I've read yet re: Herpes. I recommend you get the book. It's open, honest and talks about holistic methods for living w/Herpes. He has had Herpes for almost 15yrs. and runs a STI clinic. He also talks about areas that no other books have addressed re: the deep down feelings that we all face(d). I still have moments of self doubt but we just have to pull up our big girl panties and move on and live our lives. Try not to obsess - easier said than done, I know. But we have to make peace w/it one way or another and LOVE yourself first and foremost.

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.