Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

What are ICD's?
An_252866 posted:
I recently went in for a routine Pap smear and STD testing to obtain birth control (I am sexually active but have always used a condom). It has been two months and I have not received a phone call with the results. However my EOB recently arrived and there was an ICD on the bill. I have searched the internet and have found conflicting definitions of what this means. Could I have a STD but was not notified by my physician? Could the ICD mean something else? (for example to show what the original test was testing for?)

Obviously this news was unsettling and waiting for my doctors office to open.

georgiagail responded:
ICD-9 Codes are billing codes used to describe a patients diagnosis for insurance billing purposes.

Gail

An_252350 responded:
ICDs apply to "all general epidemiological, many health management purposes and clinical use. These include the analysis of the general health situation of population groups and monitoring of the incidence and prevalence of diseases and other health problems in relation to other variables such as the characteristics and circumstances of the individuals affected, reimbursement, resource allocation, quality and guidelines."

Chris_Evans responded:
International Classification of Diseases (ICD)
The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is the standard demonstrative apparatus for the study of disease transmission, health administration and clinical purposes. This incorporates the investigation of the general health scenario of populace gatherings. It is utilized to screen the occurrence and commonness of maladies and other health issues.

It is utilized to characterize sicknesses and other health issues recorded on numerous sorts of health and key records incorporating demise testaments and health records. Notwithstanding empowering the space and recovery of indicative qualified information for clinical, epidemiological and quality purposes, these records likewise give the premise for the assemblage of national mortality and dismalness facts by WHO Member States. It is utilized for repayment and asset designation choice making by nations.
ICD-10 was embraced by the Forty-third World Health Organisation in May 1990 and came into utilization in WHO Member States as from 1994. The eleventh correction of the characterization has recently begun and will proceed until 2015.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.