Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

No clue about this bloodest
An_252947 posted:
I just got my bloodtests, the Doctor did not talk to me.
I know I have Herpes, had not had an outbreak in 2 years, suddenly I got 3.
I was given Valtrex for it.
Here is teh bloodtest:
HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec 5.46 Index
HSV 2 IgG Type Spec 8.63 Index

I feel run down, so what do these numbers mean?

Take the Poll

Does your Doctor always explain your blood tests?
  • No
  • Sometime
vote
View Poll Results

georgiagail responded:
They mean you carry both HIV1 and 2. One wonders why your physician ordered this since you were aware you were already infected with this virus.

Most adults carry HSV 1, having picked this up in childhood.

Gail

blondiebiz replied to georgiagail's response:
No, NOT HIV1 and 2

HSV 1 and 2

georgiagail replied to blondiebiz's response:
Excuse me. I've been posting over on the HIV/AIDS forum.

Yes; HSV 1 and 2.

Gail

abe648 responded:
How do you know that you had herpes for the past 2 years?

As noted you are positive for HsV 1 & 2. Anytime you have values of 5.0 or greater you are positive. Why did your Doc not tell you? He should have told you but some Doc's have no bed side manors and do not have the heart to tell a patient that they have it because so many people have a bad connotation about GH. I was told 20 years ago by my Doc that I had GH and did not even do a test for it. I had to go to a walk in clinic and get properly tested to confirm that I had HSV 2 genitally. Again remember that this was 20 years ago and for a lot of Doc's testing was not a big thing back then but when I asked to be tested he refused.

Did your Doc R/x Valtrex? Does your insurance cover all the costs of Valtrex? If not then get him to write a new R/x for Valacyclovir as it is the generic brand. If you cannot afford that then you can always take Acyclovir but the down side on this is that you have to take it twice a day but it is very inexpensive. Did your Doc R/x for a daily suppressive therapy of Valtrex so that you could take it every day or did he just give it to you for 2 weeks or a month?

No one commented on your being run down. Are you male or female. Have you been worried about this and if so have you not gotten regular sleep. Proper sleep would help you and since you are coming off of three ob's this might also explain this as well as your body is fighting the virus. Once you start taking the Valtrex you should start to feel a bit better along with proper rest.

Do you have any more questions that we can help you with. Ask as if you do not ask you will not know the answer. There is no question to personal to ask.

God Bless you as you move on with your life.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

blondiebiz replied to abe648's response:
Thank you for answering.
I know I have had Herpes, found out about it 6 months after I got married, my husband's exwife had it, I didn't even know what it was at first.
I have had outbreaks on and off for 25 years, I go long times before the next one.
About 8 years ago another doctor , after the intial dose of Valtrex put me on a maintenance dose of 1 a day for 6 months, it did keep it away for several years.
These last 4 years I have had several and this doctor is a new doctor, as my other family Doc retired.
I requested a script because I had an outbreak, so they did a swap and the results were the ones I posted.
He just didn't take the time to explain what the numbers meant.
I'm currently back on Valacyclovir 500 mg, because I'm not fully healed.
I try to have pills on hand all the time for just in case.
I guess as we get older (66) we still get the outbreak, it is really bad, I wish it would stop.
But I was under stress, so that is likely why I got it several times now.

Thanks again

abe648 replied to blondiebiz's response:
I hear you about the older age. I have been married for 30 years and we have been faithful to each other over these years. I had no idea I had HSV 2 for 10 years and then got my first noticeable ob. Then another and my Doc said I had HSV genitally. I have read on here that some people get more ob's as time goes on. And some people do also get ob's in different area's. Perhaps your Doc did not explain the numeric values to you because if you told him you knew you had GH then perhaps felt he did not need to explain it to you espescially if it was on your file already. I have been fortunate to not have ob's in 5 years ever since I started taking Valacyclovir for all these past 5 years. If you are getting more ob's more often try Valacyclovir daily to help you avoid your ob's especially if you still have a healthy sex life. If you still get to many ob's at at the 500 mg of Valacyclovir then ask for 1 gm daily and that should stop the ob's or at least they will be a;lot less often .
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

blondiebiz replied to abe648's response:
I repleid to you, did you ever see it?

abe648 replied to blondiebiz's response:
Yes It is just above this reply from you.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.