Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Passing HSV 2 orally
An_252811 posted:
I am positive for HSV2 almost 20yrs and have started having tingling and numbness on my tongue and lip for a couple weeks but no outbreak. I haven't had cold sores for 10+years. If I don't have an outbreak, no way to know status of oral situation. Can I pass HSV 2 orally via kissing? My partner does not have HSV1or2. And should I pass HSV 2 orally, will my partner get HSV2 orally or genitally? 2 passes 2, right? 2 doesn't pass as 1? So confusing.

abe648 responded:
I am not a medical professional.

So if you have HSV 2 genitally and HSV 1 orally most likely you do not have both HSV 1 & 2 orally. You most likely have HSV 1 orally and HSV 2 genitally.

So if you give your partner oral sex then if he/she most likely would get HSV 1 genitally. Only approx 3% of people have HSV 2 orally and if they have HSV 1 orally if is highly unlikely that they would also have HSV 2 orally as well.

Like you say the only way to know for sure is to get tested. But that is not possible as you have no ob to swab/culture/type.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

An_252811 replied to abe648's response:
I should have clarified - I tested positive for 2 and negative for 1. To know if I'm one of the 3% (lucky me) I will need to get a sore swabbed - frustrating since there are none. So, let's assume it's 2 orally - I know I could pass it thru oral genital sex. But can 2 be passed via just kissing? I think not if 2 only passes as 2 and 2 generally doesn't take up residence orally. Right? Again partner is negative 1/2. Thanks for you help.

abe648 replied to An_252811's response:
Have you ever had any ob's? If you had ob's in the genital area before this then you would not hve it in the oral area. Even if you hve never had any ob;s at all the ods are that you have HSV 2 genially not orally.

I still think that you do not havve HSV 2 orally The odds are that it is gentially not orally.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

15yrs ago I had genital obs. Since then no ob's except just recently with stress activating it - it was gone in about a week. I had oral ob about 15yrs ago, none since. Two weeks ago I got tested - positive HSV2 and negative for 1.

The oral ob 15yrs ago is what has me thinking that I have 2 orally since I am negative for 1. But again no obs so can't test.

I realize that I can pass 2 thru oral genital sex. I'm just nervous about passing on 2 while kissing. Can 2 be passed orally kissing to an uninfected partner?

Assuming I have 2 orally - but who knows for sure. Thanks for opinions - it helps to discuss.

Ok so I see you as having HSV 2 genitally. God has been good to you that you do not have HSV 2 ob's any more but you would still be able to transmit it to a partner genitally through shedding. Click on the Tiger or right click on the Tiger and open it. The rates of transmission are in there.

So what kind of ob did you have orally? was it on the lip or was it inside the mouth? Since you have HSV 2 genitally then the odds of you having it orally are very very very very slim as even if HSV 2 tried to infect you orally it should have been fought off with the Anti Bodies in your body from the HSV 2 Infection.

Please explain exactly where the oral ob happened and how long did it last. I am thinking if it was in the mouth that it could have been a cancker sore which is not a Herpes ob.

Finally if you are sexually active with your partner they still have a chance of getting if from you genitally. So really I would not worry about the risk for them. Show them the odds of getting HSV 2 genitally from you and ask your partner if they want to take the risk of oral sex. If they then say yes that is ok then it is there decision and it would be their responsibility
it they get HSV 2.

Let them decide and agree that what ever they decide you will abide by it. If they say just genital sex then ok. Or if they say both genital and oral sex then ok as well.

I will coment on the rransmission orally once you tell me what type of ob you had orally.

Finally has your partner been tested for all STI'S and make sure that they get a type specific IgG blood test for HsV 1 & 2 which if they are positive for HSV 2 then there is no issue. Many people get tested for herpes and are supprised to find out they have it and have never had any symptoms.

Let me know where the oral ob was and how long it lasted. God Bless the two of you as you both move forward.

The ob's were on the lower lip - never inside the mouth. I remember them getting activated when I had oral sex w/ex-husband who I assume had HSV2 (never tested) from me. Well I'm assuming that's how they were activated. Back then in 90's Dr didn't say you could pass even when you weren't having sores - good info wasn't out then. The obs lasted about a week.

Yes, I've asked him to get tested.

Ok so I guess you could have HSV 2 orally as you tested negative for HSV 1. This I think I would be very rare and what I know about a person getting infected with the same virus in a different location. You say the ob was on the outside of the lip.

My recommendation is that if you want to get a real good idea what is happening that you contact Terri Warren and see if you can talk to her and tell her to look at this post all you would have to send her is the link in the browser above and she can read it and then perhaps if she needs more info she can ask for that and if she needs more testing she can ask for that. There will be a charge
for this so ask what the cosst will be. The link is in my signature line below.
There is an email address where you can contact her. That way you would get the correct answers as she is a leading person in the field of Herpes.

If you think it is to expensive then you can go to this site and on it there is list of Doc's who specialize in herpes and hopefully you can find one close to where you live that will help you. The list of Doc's is on the front page of the site under Doctors"

http://www.racoon.com/herpes/

Could you come back and let me know what you find out. ABE

I sent email to Terri at the info email at the Westover Heights clinic. I hope to connect with her. FYI, I don't know if you've read Christopher Sciopo's book "Making Peace with Herpes". It's expensive on amazon.com but cheap on Kindle. Very heartfelt account of his journey w/Herpes since he received 'the gift' in early 1990's (another pioneer). His approach to healing is holistic mainly which I support also. I started on Lauricitin and Olive Leaf therapies last week - mainly to address shedding since I don't have ob's to speak of.

I really appreciate your advice and support thru your quick responses and am inspired by your story. God bless you and your wife.

I have not read the book yhou talk about. I had another thought after I posted my last post.I was wondering if you had a "type specific IgG blood test for HSV 1 & 2 snce 1990? If you have not been tested since then it is posible that you contracted HSV 1 orally and that may expain your oral ob's. You could have gotten HSV 1 from a partner between your ex and your current partner. One of the first questions Terri may be asking you is if you have a fairly curreentt blood test so it might be good to get a testt done if you go not have a current IgG blood test. Your are welcome for all the help. God Bless as well.

Yes, it's a recent blood IGG test - 2 weeks ago. I will let you know of any new information. Thanks again.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.