Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Alternative to Valtrex
manning18fan posted:
Hello! I have Genital Herpes. I ALWAYS get outbreaks during my period. So I'm on Valtrex daily. Well of course I have had the weight gain. So I need to lose weight and I want to go off of Valtrex and only use it when I have a breakout. However, I will have a breakout monthly. (Bummer) So I would like opinions, advice, anything. Am I just stuck with the choice of daily prevention or have a breakout and cut back on my medicine? The breakouts aren't terrible, but let's face it they suck!

abe648 responded:
There is nothing to say you havve to take Valtrex evvery day if you do not want to. You can take it when you get signs of an impendign ob and tjem stop after the ob has subsided.

Look in the Herpes Hand book for the R/x recommended ues for use when you have an ob. that may be better for you. Ther link is in my signature line.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
There is no reason why you should be gaining weight on Valtrex. The only two reasons would be is that you are now down because you have GH and so you are eating more than usual.

The other reason would be that you are in a relationship with a parner who accepts you with GH and so you are happy and are content with life and so are again eating more because life is good and things are going well.

Are you sure that you are getting GH each time you get your period? Even if you are on Valtrex of 500 mg per day you should only be getting 2-3 at the most 4 ob's per year while on Valtrex. The other thing you could do is try taking 1 gm of Valtrex per day. That should control your ob's.

I know some women do get ob's when they get their period but not all do and I would recommend and make sure that this is not some other type of imfection and so would recmmend that you go and see your Gyn when you get your period and make sure that it is not something else. Herpes can mimiac other infections and you think it is herpes when it is not.

The other thing you can do is keep things as dry as possible down yonder when you have your period. Herpes will show up more in a moist enviorment and so make sure you change your tampon or pad often and also apply corn starch liberally in the genital area during this time to keep things dry down yonder . Take some to work with you and apply after going to the bathroom. Also place some in your panties as that will help as well. The drier you can keep dry down yonder the better you will feel. If you have any other questions just ask for more help. Are you using Valacyclovir the generic instead of Valtrex the brand name as it is more reasonalble than Valtrex by quite a bit. Valacyclovir is the generic of valtrex.

God Bless you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

manning18fan replied to abe648's response:
Thanks for the input. Yes I have an OB and made sure I got tested for anything and everything else. When I first started on cycle and each time they told me it was an outbreak.

Taking my Valtrex daily has stopped outbreaks for me. It is if I do not do the daily treatment that I get them during my period. Valtrex can cause weight gain as a side effect, it just isn't listed as a frequent side effect. I have accepted my condition fully and do not feel depressed at all about it. It took over a year, but I know its not terrible. I do watch what I eat, I know it is not the only reason I have gained, but I know it hasn't helped. I think that meeting with my doctor and seeing if I could go on a lower dose will be an awesome idea. I didn't even think about it! Thank you!
(PS LOVE Terri Warren's book!)

abe648 replied to manning18fan's response:
If you are taking Valtrex most likely you are on 500 gm/day and there is really no dosage lower than that. So if it works then keep on it or see if your Doc can give you something else.

I was helping a gal on this post and she talks about a book in the lower end of all the posts and talks about abook that is more towards the alternative methods of treatomg GH.
Just copy and paste it into your browser.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/sexual-conditions-and-stds-exchange/forum/10877/6

Finally if you do ever find a new partner then Valtrex helps to reduce the chanes of him getting it by 50% from 4% t0 2 %.

Cheer up things will get better.

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.