Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Worried, large bump in pubic region. Herpes? Or boil?
concernedguy92 posted:
Hello, question about a bump in my pubic region. I noticed it yesterday while showering. Prior to that I never noticed it so idk if it just popped up yesterday or if its been there. It doesn't hurt, burn, or anything. The only time it "hurts" is when I apply a lot of pressure when trying to pop it (not smart, I know). I do often get an in ingrown hair down there (maybe once every other month). I'm not sexually active, & haven't been since January/February. My question is, based on the symptoms (or lack thereof), would it be herpes or a boil? It's not a cluster if bumps. Just one big one the size of a pea. It's hard when applying pressure but when just touching it it feels like its squishy & filled with something. Like I said, it isn't painful unless pressure is applied. It's like a red/white mix type of color. More red than anything.

Any info would help. I would go to the clinic but the free clinic closes at 3 on Thursdays here & isn't open on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays. so I wouldn't be able to go until Monday in order to get any professional input.

Hope to get some responses. Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
Sounds like a pimple, a boil or a sebaceous cyst from an irritated hair follicle. The area in question has a number of oil and sweat glands and since it's typically covered by clothing and warm and moist, these things popping up aren't unusual.

It's likely to get more sensitive quickly, might come to a "head" and need to be popped or drained to relieve the discomfort.

Gail

concernedguy92 replied to georgiagail's response:
It hasn't come to a head. I've been putting warm compresses on it all day. Went to dinner with a friend, came home, went to the bathroom & noticed it was sort of bleeding. So I squeezed it ever so lightly and a lot of bloody pus came out. Like it was blood but mixed with pus so it was a pink color. Then a thick white ball of pus came out. Showered and put some peroxide, witch-hazel, and antibacterial ointment then covered it with a bandaid.

Safe to say its not herpes? I read somewhere herpes sores don't bust open with blood and pus, but instead a clear fluid. However what I have really isn't like a sore. Everything was under the skin.

georgiagail replied to concernedguy92's response:
You are correct. This is not herpes.

Gail

Hi Gail, I took a picture if what it looks like today. Thursday is when it was popped. I don't know what herpes looks like when it's healing nor do I really know what I boil looks like when healing. What does it look like to you? Thanks.

http://i41.tinypic.com/jrtngz.jpg

This is not herpes. As you've have written, herpes lesions do not have either blood or pus. They tend to be itchy painful and believe me, nobody wants to touch them let alone squeeze them.

What you've got here is a pimple, a boil or a sebaceous cyst (likely the latter) that has been drained and is healing.

Gail

Okay, thanks so much! I feel much better about it now.

concernedguy92 responded:
Gail,

I was just doing a little more research and saw that syphilis too produces "painless" sores.
Mine was only painless if left alone. When I applied pressure to the bump it hurt. Since it busted, it no longer hurts. Like at all. As I'm writing this, it still looks like it did in the picture I provided and when I apply pressure I feel nothing at all now. It's been like that since it busted. Every time I apply pressure now I feel nothing. It's like it's not even there.
And since a symptom of syphilis is "painless" sores, do you think it could be that? I'm trying to remain positive but it's hard to do when I keep doing research lol.

Does syphilis sores usually contain pus and blood? Or is it a clear fluid like herpes? So confused.

concernedguy92 responded:
Here's another picture of what it's looking like right now.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2q80mjo.jpg

(Sigh). Chancre's connected with syphilis do not release pus or blood when squeezed.

Your bump is painless because it has been cleaned out and it is slowly healing.

Gail

Sorry if I'm a bother, I was just worried.

yamsuph replied to concernedguy92's response:
If you haven't already you should go to the doctor and get tested, just to be safe. I know this is from months ago, but I still thought these things worth saying: "Genital herpes can cause sores or breaks in the skin or lining of the mouth, vagina, and rectum. The genital sores caused by herpes can bleed easily." ^^^ quote from: http://m.cdc.gov/en/HealthSafetyTopics/DiseasesConditions/STDs/herpesFS#a5

What is the link between genital herpes and HIV?

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.