Girl just confessed to me she has hiv and we had unprotected sex? I am scared? What do I do
An_253147 posted:
We had unprotected sex on July 31st and August 1st about 5 or 6 times. She tells me a few days later that she was born with Hiv. She also tells me she undetectable and have a low viral load. I have no idea what that means and I'm scared for my life right now.

I did see my doctor 4 days after we had sex. He gave me 3 pills and said the pills might be able to kill it if I do have it. I also got tested but it was negative. I have to wait till aug 28 now. Should I go with her to her doctor? Her appointment Monday but its a 2 hour train ride from me. I live in Nyc. I'm stressed and haven't really slept since this happened

I just wish she told me before we had sex instead of after. I done cried and everything cause my life is a question mark right now. I have no idea if I have it

Should I go with her to HER doctor? Would it make any difference

georgiagail responded:
Your physician started you on Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (i.e., PEP); HIV medications in an attempt to reduce your risk of HIV should these unprotected sexual encounters have passed the virus onto you.

It may benefit you to go with this partner to her physicians appointment to learn more about her status. When she says she has a low viral load this means that the amount of virus in her bodily fluids (i.e., blood and sexual fluids) is very low, probably because she too is on medication. This means that the chances of her being able to pass the virus on to another person is less than if the amount of virus she had was very high in these fluids.

From now on use a condom when you have sex unless you are absolutely certain of your partners status regarding any STD.

Gail