Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV2 on my ankle only??
Tnoyd posted:
I've been diagnosed with hsv-2 about 10 years ago but I have never had any outbreak in my genital area. My outbreak occurs on my ankle. I have been very careful about washing my hands to prevent spreading it anywhere else. My partner does not have the virus. I am worried about infecting him and avoid sexual contact during the outbreak but since we sleep in the same bed can I still infect him even if I have my ankle covered during an outbreak?

abe648 responded:
If you cover your ankle during an outbreak there would be no risk of transmittting this to him as HSV does not go through clothing. I am curious how you were diagnosed as having HSV 2 on your ankle. I do know one can have HSV 2 in different areas but this is very uncommon. If you are concerned about transmitting this to him I would urge you to talk to your provider or your GYN. If you feel that you are not getting a satisfacory answer then go to this site an see if there is a Doc who is close to where you live and get someone who knows what they are talking about. On the front of the page is a link called :Doctors" these do specialize in Herpes issues and they could give you correct answerrs. Here is the link.

http://www.racoon.com/herpes/
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
The other question I have for you is do you know if you have HSV 2 genitally as well? If you have HsV 2 on your ankle then even if you do not have HSV 2 ob's genitally then there is a chance you could still be shedding from the genital area which would put your bf at risk. I do not know for sure and that is why I would recommend that you discuss this with someone to decide how to proceed. If your provider/GYN think that you could have HSV 2 genitally then you may want to take suppressive therapy to decreast the risk to your bf.

If you want to learn more about suppressive therapy the info is in the Herpes Handbook as per the link in my signature line below.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Tnoyd replied to abe648's response:
I actually don't know if I have it genitally. I've never had an outbreak in that area. When I first showed it to my OB/gyn she said that it looked like shingles. I was pregnant with my 3rd child at the time when I showed her my ankle and all my visits were clear and healthy genitally that I was healthy to deliver vaginally but I opted for a c-section due to history of difficult and long labor . The closest outbreak was on my hip but I don't even think it is related since I've only had the outbreak once and it didn't even look or feel the same and that must have been 15 to 18 years ago since that happened. It's also on the left side of my body. I'm still hoping that it was misdiagnosed. I had a medical doctor look at it that he dismissed it and told me not to worry but I insisted on the swab test.

abe648 replied to Tnoyd's response:
So from what I hear from you it sounds like you never had the ankle swabbed/cultured and so I would get this done the next time you have an ob on the ankle. Tell the Doc to type the results if it comes back as Herpes so you know if it is HSV 1 or 2 on the ankle. the best time to get this done is within 48 hours of when you notice the ob on the ankle for best results.

The hip could have been herpes as well but there is no way to know now. Herpes can show up in what we call the "boxer short" area which is anywhere a pair of boxer shorts would cover. So the item on your hip could have been herpes or maybe not.

Since the one Doc looked at and said that he/she did not think it is was herpes there is no way to know for sure short of getting tested. A visual look can be wrong 50% of the time and the Doc could have been right or wrong.

I think that since you now have a new partner it would be a good idea to get tested for all STD'S and also both of you should get a "type specific IgG blood Test" so that you know what both of you have when it comes to STD'S. It sounds like you are both sexually active with each other but it is still good to know. It is not only what you have but what he has as well.
Ask for a copy of the numeric test results from the IgG blood test and post them on here so someone can confirm both of your status's.

I am sure that you do not want to think a new partner would not have any STD'S but many people can have STD'S and have no idea they have an STD.

It is good to know what each other has so you can decide where both of you need to take precautions. Make a day of it and go and get tested and then go for a lunch or dinner and then wait for the results. If you care for each other it is a good idea to get your relationship off to a good start and by asking him to get tested it shows that you are a responsible person and want the relationship to be honest and open.

God Bless the two of you as you move forward.
Abe

After rereading your reply I realized that you had the ankle swabbed/cultured/typed so that is not needed.

Since you have HSV 2 if you did get a "type specific IgG blood test" that you would come back positive for HSV 2. So no need for this either.

It would still be a good idea to have your new partner get tested with a "type specific IgG blood test" as if he came back positive for HSV 2 there would be no need to be concerned if you have HSV 2 genitally or not. I still find that the Doc who did not take a swab of your hip and have it cultured and typed as if the Doc did this you would know if you have HSV 2 in the genital area or just the ankle.

Click on the Tiger and there is info on the risk of Female to Male Transmission of HSV 2. The risk is low especially if you were on suppressive therapy.

Hope this helps you.

I have not had the hip outbreak in about 15 -18 years it's just been on my ankle. I currently have an outbreak on my ankle which is getting better now. Maybe it's paranoia but can another outbreak happen on another part of my body just as the one on my ankle is healing? Can I spread it to another part of my body?

I do not have an answer for you and I am sure you would like to know if you have it genitally. So I have two recommendations. First is to click on the website in my signature line below and send an emil to Terri Warren as she is well recognized as being able to answer your question. Telll her about the hip issue as well as that may have a berring on her answer. there may be a charge for this I do not know for sure.

The second is to google "The Herpes Homepage" and on the front of the site is a "Doctors" link and in there is many Doctors who are familiar with Herpes. I am sure that you will find one close to where you live and can pook an appt with one of them for an answer.

Once you get an answer could you please come back and tell me so I can learn from this as well. Thank you

I've been working a lot of hours lately (72 hrs every week) that I have not seen the doctor now my outbreak is better. As soon as I get the chance I will be seeing my doctor and will definitely share my results.

In the meantime my partner and I have been putting off sex. Just cuddles for now we've both been too tired from work so it makes it easy to put off.

Thank you for answering a lot of my questions, Have a wonderful weekend!

Your welcome. Just let me know what your Doc says when you see the Doc.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.