Skip to content


Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

My penis smells like fish after I had sex
An_253171 posted:
Hi, back in April I had sex with a girl and 2 weeks after the sex my penis smelt a lot like fish, so I went to the doctor and got tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Tritch. I had none.

Then the skin started to peel around the head of the penis. I then took medicine for a yeast infection, it did not work.

The skin has stopped peeling, but there is like a swollen tube around the head of the penis and it hurts. A lot. And it is very painful to masturbate.

I have seen 2 doctors, one of which was a urologist and not one of them has any idea what it is.

I am going to see another urologist, but I was wondering if any of you guys had any idea what this is. I have never had anything like this before. I am 101% sure it is from the sex.

I also took Doxycycline for 2 weeks for my acne and it did not help either.

Please help me!
georgiagail responded:
A "fishy" odor is generally connected with a bacterial infection.

whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail, do you have any idea what type of bacterial infection it could be? As I already said, I tested negative for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trich. And the Urologist had no idea what it was either.

And I was on Doxycycline for 2 weeks as well (for my acne). It did not help either.

So I am going to try to make another appointment with another Urologist. Also, what type of doctor do you recommend me seeing?
georgiagail replied to whatsuplzhelp's response:
Nope. If one, it would appear to be one that does not respond to Doxycycline.

None of the STD/STI's you mentioned are bacterial in nature.

And Infectious Disease Specialist might be useful.

whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
Darn it, nobody seems to know what's wrong with me.

I am pretty sure Chlamydia is a bacterial infection because Doxy is used to treat it.

How would I go about making an appoitment to see an Infectious Disease Specialist?
georgiagail replied to whatsuplzhelp's response:
Yes; Chlamydia is a bacteria infection. However, you have been cleared of this.

Many women have what is known as Bacterial Vaginosis, caused by an overgrowth in the normal bacteria found in the vagina. Their symptoms which are often described as a "fishy" odor are a clue to this type of infection. It's depressingly common and can, at times, be passed on through unprotected intercourse.

Since you have not had any luck getting a diagnosis with the Urologists who have been following you, the recommendation was to see an Infectious Disease Specialist who might be able to provide you with better answers. If you have a large medical facility close to where you live, you might be able to find these specialists there.

whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
Okay, now I see what you meant.

Well, if I had Bacterial Vaginosis would it cause the skin to peel, and bleed? Also, I used a condom.

I am going to try to make an appointment tomorrow with an Infectious Disease Specialist, do I need to be referred by a regular doctor?
georgiagail replied to whatsuplzhelp's response:
It sure would have been useful for you to mention in your first post that a condom was used during the sexual intercourse.

If the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear, your partner could not have passed anything such as bacterial vaginosis onto you during the intercourse.

And, this was a latex condom, correct?

whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
Sorry about that.

I am not sure if it was latex or not.

I tried to make an appointment with an Infectious Disease Specialist but they needed a referral. So I am going back to my regular doctor for another appointment.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.