Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    My penis smells like fish after I had sex
    An_253171 posted:
    Hi, back in April I had sex with a girl and 2 weeks after the sex my penis smelt a lot like fish, so I went to the doctor and got tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Tritch. I had none.

    Then the skin started to peel around the head of the penis. I then took medicine for a yeast infection, it did not work.

    The skin has stopped peeling, but there is like a swollen tube around the head of the penis and it hurts. A lot. And it is very painful to masturbate.

    I have seen 2 doctors, one of which was a urologist and not one of them has any idea what it is.

    I am going to see another urologist, but I was wondering if any of you guys had any idea what this is. I have never had anything like this before. I am 101% sure it is from the sex.

    I also took Doxycycline for 2 weeks for my acne and it did not help either.

    Please help me!
    georgiagail responded:
    A "fishy" odor is generally connected with a bacterial infection.

    whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
    Hi Gail, do you have any idea what type of bacterial infection it could be? As I already said, I tested negative for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trich. And the Urologist had no idea what it was either.

    And I was on Doxycycline for 2 weeks as well (for my acne). It did not help either.

    So I am going to try to make another appointment with another Urologist. Also, what type of doctor do you recommend me seeing?
    georgiagail replied to whatsuplzhelp's response:
    Nope. If one, it would appear to be one that does not respond to Doxycycline.

    None of the STD/STI's you mentioned are bacterial in nature.

    And Infectious Disease Specialist might be useful.

    whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
    Darn it, nobody seems to know what's wrong with me.

    I am pretty sure Chlamydia is a bacterial infection because Doxy is used to treat it.

    How would I go about making an appoitment to see an Infectious Disease Specialist?
    georgiagail replied to whatsuplzhelp's response:
    Yes; Chlamydia is a bacteria infection. However, you have been cleared of this.

    Many women have what is known as Bacterial Vaginosis, caused by an overgrowth in the normal bacteria found in the vagina. Their symptoms which are often described as a "fishy" odor are a clue to this type of infection. It's depressingly common and can, at times, be passed on through unprotected intercourse.

    Since you have not had any luck getting a diagnosis with the Urologists who have been following you, the recommendation was to see an Infectious Disease Specialist who might be able to provide you with better answers. If you have a large medical facility close to where you live, you might be able to find these specialists there.

    whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
    Okay, now I see what you meant.

    Well, if I had Bacterial Vaginosis would it cause the skin to peel, and bleed? Also, I used a condom.

    I am going to try to make an appointment tomorrow with an Infectious Disease Specialist, do I need to be referred by a regular doctor?
    georgiagail replied to whatsuplzhelp's response:
    It sure would have been useful for you to mention in your first post that a condom was used during the sexual intercourse.

    If the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear, your partner could not have passed anything such as bacterial vaginosis onto you during the intercourse.

    And, this was a latex condom, correct?

    whatsuplzhelp replied to georgiagail's response:
    Sorry about that.

    I am not sure if it was latex or not.

    I tried to make an appointment with an Infectious Disease Specialist but they needed a referral. So I am going back to my regular doctor for another appointment.
    john_dugan replied to whatsuplzhelp's response:
    What you are talking about is balanitis - a common problem especially for men who are uncircumcised. The fishy smell is caused by bacteria that feed on the material (dead skin cells, skin oil, and body fluids) that become trapped under the penis skin. You need to wash the area carefully every day and make sure it is dry before you get dressed, and some doctors may recommend a hydrocortisone cream. A penis health cream like Man1 Man Oil that has vitamin A - a natural antibacterial agent - can help control odors and reduce the risk of recurrence.
    tlkittycat1968 replied to john_dugan's response:
    Why are you replying to a post that is at least two years old? I'm pretty sure he got his answer already.
    Anon_134193 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
    This site loves to bring up old posts, especially in the email digest format, and I think sometimes people respond without realizing how old they are.
    An_260789 replied to Anon_134193's response:
    stop having sex with fish maybe
    seanhh responded:
    Good move to get tested for sure. But you may just have to give your penis a little more love every day. You could start using a penis health creme. These are made especially for guys, and target all sorts of skin issues down there. Just make sure you get a creme that is all natural to avoid side effects. Good luck!!

    Helpful Tips

    Don't waste time on this site.
    Please do not embarrass yourselves with asking these virtual medical advice people anything real important. I didn't even get an answer. More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.