Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV 1/2 Results
inahs posted:
So I got results back from a blood test I took to see if I contracted HSV 1 or 2. I started dating my boyfriend about 5 months ago and that's when we started having sex. My results came back as follows:

HSV 1 IgG: >5.00
HSV 2 IgG: 1.84

I know that means that I am for sure positive for HSV 1. I know I did not have it prior to dating my current boyfriend and he told me that he got cold sores. What I'm concerned about is the second result. I have read that anything below a value of 3 is considered a low positive. My doctor said that since the second value is low, it could be attributed from HSV 1. I want to believe him, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if I should get tested again in a few weeks/months. I've never had any sores or abnormal itching or anything down there and I have never seen any sores on my boyfriend.

Since I've been having sex with my boyfriend for 5 months, wouldn't the HSV 2 value be higher than it is? I'm really upset at the results and just trying to make sense of them. I don't know where to go from here.

abe648 responded:
The HSV 1 is positive
The HSV 2 is positive at 1.84. Anything over .91 is positive and at 1.84 like you said it is still a low positive but it is a low positive. It depends when you contracted HSV 2. If it was two weeks ago then your numbers would still be low. I would wait for about 2 months and get just the HSV 2 retested to see what the numeric value is at that time.

Is this your first ever sexual partner with your bf? If so then ask him to get a type specific IgG blood test like you had to see what his status is. Even if he is not the first then I would still get him tested. Get him to get a copy of his IgG blood test results and post them in your post so we can help you with that as well.

If he is not the first sexial partner then you could have had the HSV from someone else. Just because you do not have any genital ob's does not mean that you do not have HSV 2. You can have HSV 2 and have no ob's. There have been couples who have been together and faifhful to each other for 10, 20 or 30 years and suddenly one of them gets an ob and get diagnosed as having HSV 2.

If your bf is your first sexual partner and you have never had sex withi anyone else then do get your bf tested to see what his status is.

God Bless the Two of you.If you have any questions ask so we can help you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

inahs replied to abe648's response:
This is not my first sexual encounter but it must've come from him because before I was with him I was negative for everything. We started having sex five months ago. I will wait two months and see again. And he already has an appointment to get tested.

abe648 replied to inahs's response:
Ok so you could have gotten it from him in the last week or two even though you have been with him for 5 months. I have been marrried for over 30 years and my wife still does not have HSV 2. That is just the way it goes. So ocnract the virus and others do not. Ask him to get a copy of his numeric results and post them on here if he gives them to you. Then let me know what your status is in 2 months as well. That way you get the correct picture of what happend.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

PS. Was he supprised when you told him that you think he gave you HSV 2? Or do you think that he did know and did not tell you? In the future I think you will make it a requirement that any new parrtner get tested for all STI'S before you become intimate.

If he had no idea then that is life. If he know then that is a different matter.

He was surprised and was very upset when I told him. He felt really bad and thought he was the worst person in the world. I know he didn't know if he had or not. He gets tested regularly but didn't after his last sexual encounter before me. I just feel like if the results are true and not a false positive, then I feel obligated to stay with him; like I don't have a choice.

If you do in fact have HSV 2 that is no reason to stay with someone. If you love him and it works out then that is a bonus but if things in time do not work out then there are lots of guys who will love you for who you are and not what you have.

I get the feeling that you really do care for this guy and from what you said and how he responded I think he did not know he had HSV 2. But we will see what his results are and yours as well when you get retested.

There is someone for you even with HSV 2. You have the advandage as a female when it comes to having HSV 2 (if you do infact have it). The odds of you transmitting this to a partner is a lot less than a male. Click on the Tiger and see the rates of Transmission for both sexes and you will see the difference.

I can tell from your last post that you were hurt thinkng that you have hSV 2. But you have a lot going for you as you are a responsible woman and also care deeply. If you do infact have HSV 2 someone else can love you if this does not work out.

God Bless you as things unfold. Take a deep BREATHE hold it in for as long as you ccan EXHALE and RELAX!! We will always be here for you to help you through life in the long term. Abe

Thank you so much for being so reassuring. My boyfriend just went and got tested so we should find out in about a week. I just still want to be able to have a choice again.

And I had a pap smear done about 5 months ago that I was told was normal until I went in for something else and they told me that I was "exposed" to HSV according to my pap smear results. I was shocked that they lied and told me I was fine to begin with. So I don't think it was 1-2 weeks ago that I could have been exposed to HSV2. Why do they say exposed instead of infected anyway?

Also, I'm really scared when it comes to be wanting to have a family.

When you get your partners IgG blood test results post them here so we can help you confirm his status. I have no idea why they would even comment about HSV when you get a Pap smear done. My understanding is that Pap smears are used to test for HPV and possible changes in the vaginal area that could lead to cancer and that is why they do them. It has nothing to do with HSV. Unless they did other tests at the same time. Call the office where you had this done and ask them to explain what tests were done and to explain what that neans in relation to your health. You or your insurance paid for this service and you have a right to know what they tested youu for and the results that they found and to have them explained to you. This is no different when you take a car to a mechanic and he/she will explain what was wrong with the car from the tests or observations that they made. The Doc should be telling what tests were done and explain it to you what the results were. Do not let them talk over top of you like you are some child or somethign like that. You have a right to know as it affects your health and your body. When it comes to having a family this will allwork out regardless of what the test results are. I would urge you to read about pregnancy in the Herpss Hand Book and also if you get Terri warren's book I am sure that there is details about pregnancy in that as well. What they noramlly do if you end up having HSV 2 is get you to stop taking any suppressive therapy when you find out you are pregnant and then you can take Meds if you get an ob durmg the pregnancy and then in the last month they will put you on suppressive therapy to avoid an ob during delivery. It will all work out. Do not dispair. God Is in control and loves you.

Helpful Tips

how do you feel towards the ONE WHO GAVE YOU HERPES
Did you know that 90% of people living with Herpes, DON'T KNOW THEY HAVE IT . Thats a big number. So you just found out you have Herpes, ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 47 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.