Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Misdiagnosed
Sunshine872 posted:
I've seen my gynecologist twice this year and was diagnosed with Bacteria Vaginosis now I go see him a week ago pretty much with the same symptoms and this time he tells me I have Trichomoniasis. Could my doctor have diagnosed wrong all this time and I had trichomoniasis and not BV?

georgiagail responded:
These are two very different medical issues. Bacterial Vaginosis is very common since the vagina normally contains bacteria.

Gail

Sunshine872 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for the reply and yes I do understand they are two different medical issues. But my concern is that my doctor may have misdiagnosed me and treated me for bacteria vaginosis when actually what I had was Trichomoniasis. I had intercourse back in November with what is now my exboyfriend and since then I've seen my doctor on two seperate occassions and he diagonosed me with bacteria vaginosis. I'm with a new boyfriend now and recently I went to see my doctor and he diagnosed me with Trichomoniasis. I'm not sure if this is something I contracted from my ex and my doctor has been misdiagnosing me with bacteria vaginosis when it was trichomoniasis all along. So i guess i would like to know could I have had this Trichomoniasis since November

georgiagail replied to Sunshine872's response:
If your physician did not test you for this STI in November it is certainly possible you could have had this in addition to the bacterial vaginosis.

Does it particularly matter? The important thing is that you are now being treated for this. If you're concerned about the new boyfriend having it, suggest he also get tested.

Gail

Anon_2000 replied to georgiagail's response:
Probiotics

I was looking for Probiotics one day and came accross this web site that says that Probiotics can help vaginal heathlth. By using the right type of Probiotics you can keep the good bactereia vagially and get rid of the bad bacteria vaginally.

So give it a try and see if it works for you. You cannot click on this site you have to copy and paste the link into your browser as if you just click on the link it will not take you to wrong site. This is at leeast worth a try. It talks abut getting the correct type of Probiotics. Hope this helps you.

http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/health-resources/health-information/resources/feature-article/probiotics-their-role-in-womens-health-(womens-health-matters-article )

An_253247 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail for your reply and you're right I,m thankful that I'm being treated. The reason it matters most is because the doctor told me that I could have only contracted this within the last 30 days. Which that means the new boyfriend has been unfaithful which is my main concern. But if this is something that I could have contracted back in Novemeber then I can't accuse my new boyfriend of being unfaithful. He says he hasn't been with anyone else and I want to believe him. My relationship is kind of hanging in the balance behind this.

georgiagail replied to An_253247's response:
Couple of things to keep in mind here..

1. I'm more than a bit surprised that your physician claims you could "only" have contacted this within the last 30 days. Like a fair number of STD's, one can have this one for a period of time, show no symptoms and thus be unaware that they carry this.

2. Not every sexual contact with someone who has this STD will result in transmission. In other words, your new boyfriend could have been infected for a while from a previous relationship (before he met you) and only recently passed this on to you.

In other words, you can't end a relationship simply based on these timeline assumptions for this STD.

Gail

Sunshine872 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail very much for your reply. You've been extremely helpful.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.