Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

I'm really confused with my herpes results. Can someone please help?
Jaylith21 posted:
I recently just got my herpes results back and I'm having trouble understanding. I didn't ask any questions there because the people at the clinic I got tested at, are very unprofessional. Here they are.

HSV 1 and 2- Specific Ab, IgG
HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec. 1.51. High

HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec. <0.91

HSV, IgM I/II Combination. 4.28. High

And this is the index:
index. 0.00 - 0.90
Negative. <0.91
Equivocal. 0.91 - 1.09
Positive. >1.09

It would really be helpful if someone would explain this to me.

abe648 responded:
I am not a medical professional but I have learned a lot about herpes.

You are a low positive for HsV 1 at 1.91. So it appears that you just got this. Most people who have been possitive for a while will test around or over 5.0

You are negative for HSV 2 as it is below the value of 0.91.

Many many many people have HSV 1 so it is not a big deal just avoid contact if youu do get an ob.

Did you have an out break recently and is that why you got tested? If you got an ob where was it located?

To learn more read the info in my signature line below.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Jaylith21 replied to abe648's response:
I got an outbreak on my vagina. They were open sores down there. It started a couple days after shaving. It started with a large boil near my anus then as my hair was growing back, bumps then open sores began to form. It was very painful down there and it felt like I had a combination of a yeast infection because I was itching around my labia. I went to the emergency room and right off the back, the doctor said it looks like heroes. I don't remember her taking an actual swab from my sores but I do remember her taking a culture from the inside of my vagina. I got my results and everything came back negative but the paper only said anything about chlamydia and gonorrhea so I asked about the culture and she said that that was negative, too. A couple weeks later, I got my blood work done at this unprofessional clinic and weeks and weeks passed so I decided to call for my results and the woman ended up telling me my results via phone call because she thought I "already knew". I was devastated. But, what does the 4.28 mean with the IgM test? That number is so high. I'm very concerned because I did have genital herpes symptoms.

Thank you very much for responding my question. This helps a lot.

abe648 replied to Jaylith21's response:
The IgM blood test should be ignored as it should not be used to test for HSV 1 & 2. It is an out dated test for Herpes.

Did someone give you oral sex recently as it sounds like you have HSV 1 genitally. I would recomend that you get retested again in about 2 months and do not have sex either vaginally or orally tell you get tested so you will get an accurate test.

It appears that you may have HSV 1 genitally as you tested for a low positive. You should be telling any new partner that you may have HSV 1 genitlly. If it is HSV 1 genitally then it does not give a lot of ov's. On average one more in the first year and then on average 1 every other year. Some people never get any more out breaks. If you want to know ffor sure if it is HSV 1 genitally then get a swabb/culture/type of the area within 48 hours of the ob first appearing for best and most ccurate results. That way you will know for sure which one it is.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

I didn't have oral sex recently before the sores appeared. I had regular intercourse. And my partner was tested but his results came out negative. Maybe, hood test was a false negative. That was my first and only outbreak so I will have to wait a couple months to take again.

And also I had meningitis at the age of 12. I am now 21. Can that have an affect on the blood results?

Ask your parther to get a copy of his IgG blood tests results and post them on here so someone can confirm his status as well.

Is this the one and only partner you have had? Secondly has he had other partners before you. If you could give me more background that would help me to help you figure out where you got a low HSV 1 figure.

To the best of my knowledge I do not believer that meningitis would not affect the HSV 1 & 2 readings.

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.